1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are the classifieds dead?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Just wondering if others are having a harder time getting stuff sold lately. I've got a nice bass for sale at a good price. In the past I've been able to get basses sold within a week. This has been sitting for almost 2 months. Am I alone?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Classifieds aren't dead. Buyers are, buried under the weight of everyday life's fees.

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

the above is true, but it also might just be there isn't the market for whatever your selling right now. Peoples interests and Gas comes and goes.

SunnBass likes this.
  4. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I don't think they are so much dead as they have been affected by a ton of blowout pricing and firesales. There are a ton of amazing instruments on the board for very fair prices that would have moved quickly a while ago.

Winfred likes this.
  5. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Long Beach, California
    Roger Guitars
    The market is extremely slow, you instruments on the board for months, even with price reductions and either traded or sold at a ridiculous prices. Good time for buyers with cash but not so good for sellers. And buyers are far and between.

6. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I've noticed a slow down in the number of things for sale in the TB classifieds since the software change over.

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i noticed it's slow at the vintage gear places where i have stuff on consignment too

8. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    Definitely a buyers market right now. I also think the new site and bumping rules are having an impact on the total number of eyeballs seeing ads and participating in the threads.

I got lucky and sold a bass in just a few hours yesterday. Ok, maybe it wasn't luck, I listed a ridiculously low price for a quick sale. Things are definitely a bit slower and I have felt the selection of basses has been reduced.

9. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    go international

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    classifieds aren't dead, they just smell funny.

Joshua Pickenpaugh and adi77 like this.
  11. I just took my three basses off I had for sale a couple days ago. Luckily I'm ok in the cash flow department for the time being.

Besides, I'm on vacation so who cares! LOL

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406049473.432727.

Winfred and yodedude2 like this.
  12. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    This.

13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio

Yeah! Me too! Does the new TalkBass format have anything to do with it? Or, is it a combination of no money from a bad economy, the market is just flooded with "stuff", especially music gear!

Something's up! Over the past 6 to 8 months, I've seen a real slow down of buying on TB. Bass stuff only seems to sell if it's dirt cheap.

"Party on, Wayne!" "Party on, Garth!"

14. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    If I had the money, I'd be buying more. Seems to be some great deals lately. I did scoop up a GK MB200 for a good price on here this month. Seen some Cab's I'd like to have but are local pickup only. I wish SLC had a greater presence on here.

15. I have noticed a significant slow down on bass sales on the classifieds. Seems like hardly anyone is buying right now.

16. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    While I like the changes to the classified sections in terms of thumbnail photos, once a day bumping and the colored buttons, I've noticed a significant slow down in traffic and sales since the change in software. I'm sure there are multiple reasons for this but one reason very well may be that the classified aren't as easy to browse as they used to be. People may not even see the classified if they go straight into "General Forums".

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    bartering slow too

18. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I'm always buying. Just bought a body from the TB classifieds.

19. I've bought quite a bit more since the format change. Those thumbnails draw my attention to something I have been looking for far more than

***********Words saying buy my awesome junk***********

3 basses and at least one amp and cab, if not more stuff I'm forgetting right now.

20. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    My "feeling" is that since the site changed things have slowed. I've sold a lot of stuff off this year and when the site changed I noticed things dropped off. I think the bumping rules are good but I'm not sure how needed they are. TB seems like a decent bunch of users and fairly moderated.

I like the new format once you are in a particular sub-forum. I miss the list of sub-forums from the old site. It was more simple and browsable. I was more likely to go to an area I'd not gone too before. Now I just head straight to the same places I always "make sure" I browse.

I'm not seeing too many insane new deals outside of TB but I'm not shopping that hard either, TB keeps my spare stash of glue drained well enough. For sure a buyers market.