Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are the Cort 5-string basses any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brink22, Oct 5, 2003.

1. brink22

brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    I can buy this Red Cort 5-string for 200 bucks on Ebay and the MSRP is 400 bucks. Are they good basses for the price? Thanks.

2. I would do a search and go to harmony-central.com and bgra.net

I've played them and liked them enough but really wouldn't want one. Good for the price.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    are we talking cort Curbow? if so, the B's are pretty good, i was foolin around with one in a store, had a pretty nice B, escpecially for the price.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    If you're talking about the Bartolini-equipped Curbows(new, not used) then that is a helluva price. I've played alot of Corts(the local Cort dealer isn't too far away from where I'm staying and there are an abundance of Cort models there).

Cort's quality is very good for the price. I've practically tried all their bass models and I'd say, stay away from the Action series. With brands like Cort and Yamaha, generally you'll get what you pay for(or more).

5. What are the Artisan basses like? I'm considering buying either the C5 or B5 but there are a couple of hundred dollars difference between both.

6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    artisan is the best cort bass imho. curbow doesn't have that much of a tonal variation just the slap switch which is in fact just a full treble. A5 would be a great choice. Really nice.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The Artisan basses are quality. I have played more than a dozen of them. They're extremely well constructed. Tonally they're very versatile. You have to try one for yourself though, I know of some people who don't dig the neck profile.

8. brink22

brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    Actually the bass is an Cort Action Bass... how are the Action models?

9. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    I owned an action 5 bass 2 years ago and now i have an artisan A5. I say: DO NOT get an action 5 coz the B string is reaally crapy, and for the A5: its very good if you like a bright tone but you can't get a good low-mid boost with this baby and I just learned the bartolinis on artisans aren't really bartolinis and arent fully "active". So its your decision. I would say save some money for a curbow or mim jazz(and a few months later you could put a j-retro in it) but NEVER get a action 5 coz you wouldn't play the low B because it sounds crappy...

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i have the artisan B4 FL, (fretless) and i love it.

11. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    when you say the cort curbows are crap, i agree, but not in the tonal area. i think it is a very versatile bass. i have a 4-string model that i bought four years ago and i never really was dis satisfied till now. i just got a real american made bass last month and now the cort feels like poop in my hands (pretty gross). on top of that, i took the strings and everything off and cleaned it well and then i was adjusting the truss rod and the fretboard started coming unglued. now whenever i run my hand down the neck, i feel like im gonna get a splinter from the fretboard edge. of course, this was a used bass when i bought it, and ive had it for 3 years, so its had its share of life. so...to sum this up, the cort i owned was pretty strong in the tonal area but not in the quality. hope this information helped, even tho its not even the curbow ur looking at. :D

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I didn't see anyone posting anything about the Curbows being "crappy".

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    lol, ur right. i couldve sworn i saw it on here tho. sorry bout that.

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    No worries :D Perhaps you read one of the posts about how crappy the Action series is and mistook it for the Curbow?

15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I think Cort has been making some nice basses at low costs. I've never played an Action bass,but I own two Cort's.
    1.)Cort Elrick Josh Paul sig.5 string
    2.)Cort Curbow 4 string

My experience with Cort have been a very good one.

The Curbow is light due to a Luthite body. Very good tone.
    The Elrick is better built. Ash body w/maple top. smooth fast neck. Great tone, incredible playability. Worth every penny! :)

16. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i was on the cort website last night, and that Josh Paul does look pretty nice. where did you get that at?

17. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    If you do a search on the Cort Elrick, you'll find some threads with pictures of some TB'ers playing the bass at NAMM. I like the green one alot.

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I had my local music store order it! :)