1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are The Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Basses Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrhocson, Mar 11, 2009.

1. how is it hoes the action high or low? sound etc im thikning bout this cause the american made fenders are too expensive

2. Try one out, they aren't for everyone. No tone knob, P pick-up, P neck. It is a very specific sound and feeling instrument.

Look into higher end Mexican, or even the Aerodyne series. I prefer my Aerodyne J most of the time over my MIA Jazz.

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I love mine... it played nice right out of the box, but through the years I ended up modding it a bunch ('72 neck, added a tone control when the pickguard broke, etc.) It sounds slightly different than a regular P-Bass because the pickup is slightly closer to the neck.

Here is what my bass and toes look like:

1219081034a.

downsized_1219081034.

devntran likes this.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love the hell out of mine. It's pretty well taken over from my Rickenbacker.

Tone knobs are over rated IMHO. I put a set of ground rounds on it, set my amp flat, and the thing is a freaking tone monster. It has big hairy huevos!! The Hoppus is a great sounding and playing bass for the money. Of course, YMMV.

5. I like the control plate but not the pickup cover

I wanted one of these for a while because I like the combo of a split P and a jazz body. The basslines pickup is a significant upgrade from a typical MIM P, but these tend to go for a bit too much dough (to me) for something i'd end up modding (control plate to make it look more like a jazz, tone knob (duh, punk rawk), big F to replace Mark's name, different pickup etc)

6. bass4me

bass4me Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2007
    North AL
    +1 I still miss mine
    I'd look used though, as Fender seems to like to hang on to them. (price has increased)

7. Wowsers, what a great look... and the bass ain't bad either...

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They have the same problem all MIM Fenders do: No (0) quality control. Ensenada ships anything, especially on Fridays. About 10%-15% are OK, so if you can cherry-pick through them to find one that doesn't have paint sags, irremediable alignment problems, nasty frets, etc., you're OK. Or if these things don't matter to you (and they don't to most people here)...

The MIM Artist Series instruments are often fantastic concepts, but the execution just kills it. :(

A couple of years ago, my local GC had three Hoppi (or Hoppuses, or whatever the plural is) on sale during their usual Memorial Day Sale for $333.33 in the noxious blue and green colors. At that price, I really tried to like them, but these were just junk. Nobody bought them.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own one and generally liked it. Along with my 1997 Warwick Corvette its one of the basses I wish I hadn't let go. I always thought the light blue color looked like it should go on an old car from the 50's.

It felt like a P-Bass when you were playing it and sounded like a very aggressive P all the time. If that's the feel you're looking for and the tonal vibe you're after it will definitely work well for you.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    the vintage neck MAKES that bass. Very nice! to the OP, I played a Mark Hoppus for a short while - I thought it was ugly (seafoam green), but cool because of the simple controls.

The action on the one I played was set very high, but that was before my days of knowing how to properly set up an instrument (or paying someone to do it for you). I imagine you could have the action as low or as high as you'd like.

As far as tone, it was pretty awesome - very straight forward P bass sound, but I had a hard time playing it because the action was too high for my tastes...but again - more of a setup issue.

11. i heard they are really good basses,but its only good if your looking for that punky-pop tone.also i hear it's not exactly for finger players either,unless of course,one would raise the height of the pickups,or put a thumb rest on it.i myself have no expirience with one though,these are just things i've heard

12. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    I played one for a while. If you like P necks and Jazz bodies, which I do, it is one way to get it. I ended up swapping necks with a Highway one P and liked the profile much better. I also installed a stack knob control so I could have a tone control with no extra holes. Then I sold it and went back to a regular P bass. Looking at the new prices for these I think they have gotten a lttle too high for what you're buying, but YMMV.

13. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I love the colors they come in.

14. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No more difficult to play fingerstyle on this bass than any P-Bass I've ever played...

15. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Honestly, I would just get a regular MIM P.. or a used MIA P

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If you like it, get it. Go play one.

A student of mine bought one because he got a deal. He didn't realize it was not a standard P-bass. I played it and must say that aside from needing a setup, it is pretty dang nice! I agree that tone controls on passive basses are overrated.

17. Does ANYONE in the world run their P-bass without the tone maxed anyway? Taking it out is only logical.

18. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I love the neck on the custom Hoppus posted! Nice job!
    Maybe the OP would be interested in any of the Chinese-made "Vibe" basses Squire is producing. They've been getting good review, and the 50's Vibe p-bass is a real stunner! I'm going to look for one this weekend.

19. James Jamerson?

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I think it is pretty common to roll off the tone on a Fender P-bass about 30%. All IMHO.

Jay Mastro likes this.