Are the new Ampeg BA combos flimsy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I tried one today in a shop and the knob was so flimsy I felt like I had to be careful using it. It was bendy and flexible, perhaps it uses pots with nylon posts? It didn't sound great either, though part of that could have been the muddy humbucker in the Mikey Way mustang I was using.

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I know Ampeg is held in high regard here, but those combos are awful.
    My 2 cents

shoot-r and Linnin like this.
  3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    The Portaflex 350 I tried sounded a lot better, and is obviously a lot more sturdy. But even with that, with the tweeter dialed up full through the Ampeg 2x10 cab, it was still tough to dial in any highs with that bass. I eventually found a decent tone, but it wasn't quite there. I am, however, a fan of crispier sounding J bass pickups.

4. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    +1 on the knobs being loose-feeling, at least on the V2s. I owned the 210 and though the sound of it was great, I felt the overall quality was lacking some. I will say that during the time I owned it there was never a problem externally, but was careful when moving it.

5. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    If it was a demo model, it's probably been treated poorly since day one out on the floor.

mexicanyella likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I've got a Ba112 and Ba110 v2, and neither feel flimsy to me, at least no more flimsy than anything else in their price range. They do use pots with plastic shafts, but they feel pretty solid to me. You're not going to get those price points without making a few compromises, and that goes for any company competing in that low priced combo market

Al Kraft, Tbone76 and AstroSonic like this.
  7. I have a BA110 v2 for a practice amp as well as a BA210 v2 for my gigging rig and both seem rugged and pretty well built. For the price point, they're tough to beat.....IMHO.

I've been using the 210 at least once or twice a week for the past year with no issues. I tend not to be rough on my gear so, cosmetically, my gear doesn't usually get abused....I'll usually buy covers for all my cabinets and combos to help keep them looking good minimize damage.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Now 4 cents

shawshank72 and shoot-r like this.
  9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I picked up a used BA108.v2 to leave at a small rehearsal space for an acoustic-y kind of gig I recently picked up. It seems sturdy enough and while it's not going to be my go-to rig for large festival stages (;)), it sounds just fine and it's really hard to beat for the money ($49! - gently used at GC).

iagtrplyr and Tbone76 like this.
  10. I had a BA210V2 for about a year and a half. It was my main gigging and band practice amp. I bought it in Jan 2015 when they first came out and it was flawless. I ran that thing HARD because our guitarist like to try to overpower the whole band. I paired it with a PF210HE cab. It sounded good and performed very well. I thought it was built very well especially considering the price point. I wish I still had it.

Tbone76 likes this.
  11. I have both the BA108 and BA108v2 in two different rooms around the house. They feel fine to me. No better or worse than the Fender Rumble series.

12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've had a BA112 (v1) for almost 2 years now...not once had a problem with it.

13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I used to own a BA-108, and while I did have other issues with the build quality, the pots were fine.

14. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I hear ya, Felix. I traded in my 210 for an Ampeg Micro Rig. Very nice but I missed the horsepower of the combo. I currently own a PF-800 so that great Ampeg tone is never too far away.

15. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Just curious, but isn't the angst over Ampeg getting old? We're all brothers of the four-string and regardless of the brand we play through, let's just Play More Bass!

JakobT, Jeff Scott and LAPetrarca like this.
  16. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Very much considering one. I played the 108 today, highly considering the 110 or the 112. The condescending salesdouche talked himself out of a sale, commission all while trashing Ampeg AFTER I said that I have the SCR-DI pedal and love it.

While I don't love the price of the 112, I do like that it has the Ultra Hi and Ultra Lo switches.

I love the size, weight and price of the 110 though.

It's great to hear TB's resident Ampeg guru @JimmyM chime in on the lower priced Ampeg amps.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  17. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a BA112 and it was the smallest biggest POS I've ever owned in 35 years.

And I love Ampegs.