1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are the new Fender Precision 5s neck heavy at all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bubba Love, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I know the Standard series used the lightweight Fender/Schaller black and silver tuners post '03 (or so), but the new 5-strings seem to have tuners that are more like the pre-'03 model that were more chunky.

Pic here: http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=3605&category=Bass-Guitars&catid=4

Has anyone played one of these with a strap? Do they suffer from neck dive? The specifications on the Fender site makes no allusion to the tuners being lightweight.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    All the new American Standard basses seem lighter on average than the previous versions, including the five strings. I think this is mostly due to carefully selected wood, though the tuners on the four strings are lighter than on the previous generation. I have a new Jazz V, and it weighs about the same as my four strings, maybe less than some.

3. Sorry, my question specifically regards neck dive. Have you noticed any? Thanks for the info!

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have the Jazz V. No neck dive.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'd say the P 5 would be more prone to neck dive than the Jazz, due to the body shape, so I don't think this really answers the OPs question.

6. It's a start :)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The P-bass is a well-balanced design. I cannot believe that it would be neck heavy. I haven't tried the Fender P5, but I do own a Sadowsky P5 that has a maple neck, and a very lightweight chambered body. It has absolutely no neck dive.

This is from the P5 page at Fender.com:
    "new and improved Fender tuning keys ... keep the classic look but are 30 percent lighter"

So again, I can't believe the new P5 will be neck-divey.

8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Of the P variants I've owned, both 4 and 5s, none have ever exhibited any tendencies towards neckdive, or shown themselves to be more prone to neckdive than their Jazz bretheren.

9. Well the reason I asked was because my Precision 4 with the old tuners is a little bit divey, just wondered what the new one was like. But yeah, it's probably fine!

10. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    yes it has neck dive. all fenders do.

11. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I played one of the P5s today. It didn't seem neck divey at all, though I didn't have it on a strap just on my knee. the neck was pretty chunky. I love Pbasses, but wasn't thrilled by the 5.

12. I've never noticed it on my P Bass.

13. This is the second consecutive thread that ive read in which youv'e said something stupid.

Your statement that ALL fender basses neck dive is just ridiculous. Either offer some constructive criticism or keep your silly statements to yourself. If you dont like fender basses, deal with your dislike in a constructive manner, but dont propogate an obvious personal prejudice against a line of instruments by saying something which has no basis in fact.

14. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    The tuners shown on the website you linked, show lightweight tuners. They are much smaller than what I have on my Mike Dirnt P-bass (70's vintage tuners). It shouldn't pose a neck dive problem.

15. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Mine 62' RI Ameriven Vintage P-bass has neck dive just like all Fender-type basses I've ever played. If you think that Fenders are well-ballanced basses try some Spectors or Warwicks - yoy'll change your mind. You can set the Spector Rex almost vertically while Fenders slide to horizontal pozitions. I love Fender basses, BUT I SEE THEIR DISADVANTAGES.

16. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I had a 2005 MIA P Bass that neck dived as badly as any bass I have had. Realize that when someone says they had a bass that did this or that, it is a sample of one.

The tuners on the American Standard series seemed overly heavy to me. Really big and way too much metal.

Until this year. The new tuners on the MIAs look like Fender has finally adopted what Hipshot (and G&L) has been onto for years; a little weight reduction out there really helps.

My guess is that you now have the best chance ever of getting a Fender that does not neck dive.

17. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

The Rex? It's probably the only Spector that doesn't neckdive.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually understand the term neck dive.

18. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Neckdive is when you have to prop the neck in the position you'd like to play.
    Try to sit down, not holding your bass. I had few basses ( Rex, GMR Bassforce ) that would be steady, my Fender falls on neck ass soon as I let it go. The same situation on a cheap strap - I let go bass, and see neck and body in horizontal pozition. This is NOT well ballanced bass for me.
    All Fenders and cheaper fender-type basses I played do so.
    Not only headstock-touching-ground ( like in some T-Birds ) is a neckdive.

19. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    I have one of the new 5's and the neck dive is minimal when sitting with the bass in my lap and no strap. Standing with a strap it balances quite nicely and they are light too which was mentioned before.
    Cheers,

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Ditto. None whatsoever, and I've never had neck dive on any of my P-basses, which to me have always felt more balanced than J-basses for some reason.

I see where your concern comes from though, because the new American Standard tuners are all metal, and the four and five string models use the same ones. They're smaller versions of the old American Series four string tuners, but still bigger than the Hipshot style lightweight tuners on the American Deluxe models, so one could assume they'd be heavier.

Even so, no neck dive.