Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are the old chrome Morley Power Wahs any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CBAnaesthesia, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Hi, does anyone have an old PWO, the chrome Morley Power Wah, and if they do, is it any good? I know the Power Wah Boost is, but please post. thx.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use two old chrome Morleys, a PWB and a VOL- I love 'em both!

Ted

3. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Mine was great until the light bulb blew out. I have some ordered, but they've been on back order for several weeks. Starting to get angry..... :bawl:

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    You can get replacements at Radio Shack.

Ted

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're great, I just prefer an outboard power supply, so I use a newer Morley instead.

6. Does the boost boost the actual wah, or is it more like a pickup booster? and if it does boost the wah, does it make that much of a difference when you kick it in or can you live without it?

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The boost boosts the wah if engaged, or the signal if the wah is not engaged. It will boost 40-60dB, which is substantial enough to blow your speaker cabinets if you aren't careful.

Ted

8. Ok, thanks for clearing that up, but do you think i should hold out for a boost one or get the original? does it make a big enough difference in your opinion to be worth all the extra work and all the waiting on Ebay to find one?
    Sorry about all these questions,but I'm careful about buying pedals I've never tried.

9. Nobody's answered for a while, so I'll move on to my next question: can you get a good Cliff Burton-style wah WITHOUT the boost? think Call of Ktulu, Anaesthesia, etc.
    Thanks for the help guys! :)

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't use the boost when we do "For Whom the Bell Tolls"- it's just fine without it.

That being said- the wah is the key to Burton's aggressive sound in those songs.

Ted

11. do you think the built-in boost effect on my amp could be used to boost the wah? I want the PWB, but it's just so much more expensive on ebay, plus i'm in canada so it's like $25-30 shipping. I'm pretty new to pedals as well, all I have is a sovtek Big Muff, which is why I don't know all this stuff. Thanks a lot though, you've been a huge help

12. and by "stuff" i mean "useful things I don't know."

You can definately get by without using that word too. ;)

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't have a lot of experience with the PWO, but I don't think you'll need a boost at all so you should be okay.

Ted

14. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

My local Radio Shack don't carry them. They sent me to a local electronics distributer where they are on backorder. So I must wait. I have found some online, but most of the websites require that I must order a case of ten bulbs or purchace $19.95 worth of merch. The ones that sell them as single items charge $8 for shipping. So, I think I'll wait for my back ordered bulbs. I'll give them another call this afternoon. :rolleyes:

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hmm...as I said, I use two of these pedals and that's where I got mine. If I remember, I'll check and see if they still have them for you.

Ted

16. Ok, this is my last question before I buy one, and it's just for comparison: what did everyone pay for their PWO/PWBs?

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I passed one up for $50 untested, but I usually watch them sell for between $100-150.

18. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    $100 shipped for my PWB.

19. $46 no ship for an 1970's PWO :hyper: It should be here in a week or two... thanks for all the help guys (especially Tedintheshed), you really helped me make my decision.

20. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I paid 50 for a PWB, should be here very soon. Can't wait!