Are the Rumble Stage 800 & Studio 40 the Version 4 (V4) of Rumbles?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Carrots

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    V1 Rumbles, Version 1 of the solid state Rumbles, produced from 2003 to 2010, had rubber corners, black furry sides, black metal grills, in 15-watt, 25-watt, 60-watt and 100-watt models. The 60 & 100 models shared 4 band active EQ that gave good tone.

V2 Rumbles, Version 2 of the solid state Rumbles, produced from 2010 to 2014, had metal corners, black vinyl sides, black metal grills, in 15-watt, 30-watt, 75-watt, 150-watt and 350-watt models. The 75 and 150 models shared 4 band active EQ, while the 350 had a fully parametric mid-range. The 150 and 350 were the first D-class. And the 75, 150 & 350 shared a harmonically pleasing, blendable, and flexible, overdrive.

V3 Rumbles, Version 3 of the solid state Rumbles, produced from 2014 and currently, have metal corners, black vinyl sides, and vintage-looking silver grill cloth, in 15-watt, 25-watt, 40-watt, 100-watt, 200-watt and 500-watt models. The 40 thru 500 models have bright, contour & overdrive voicing buttons with gain, drive & level controls, and the 4 band active EQ.

The Stage 800 and Studio 40 Rumbles share only the metal corners, vinyl sides and grill cloth with the V3 Rumbles. It shares the digital modeling characteristics of the Mustang GT guitar amps. Although they include Rumble amp and cabinet modeling settings, these amps are nothing like the V1, V2 or V3 Rumbles. They are a quantum leap more advanced than previous Rumbles! Yet, they are named Rumbles. Therefore, should they not be called Version 4 (V4) Rumbles?

ELG60 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. They need to bring back the flashing port lights.

G-Dog likes this.
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    After my guitar players Peavy Vyper took a poopie, I don't really trust modeling amps. I think they should be known as studio 40 and 800.

Note: I've had happiness with my little Mustang guitar amp, still.....

kcolyar likes this.
  4. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    A case could be made to call them the Bronco 40 V2 and Bronco 800. But they have already been named Rumbles.

Old Blastard likes this.
  5. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Calling them Rumbles is perfectly fine, if anything it's improved the perception of them since the V3's are so good.

I wouldn't consider them the V4 Rumble though. Consider them V1 modeling Rumbles. Splitting the Rumble line into "modern" and "vintage" for lack of better terms makes a lot of sense.

Modeling amps can do some amazing things. They're very complex though, often require tons of jiggery-pokery to get set, and they often oversimplify things. I haven't used a Studio 40 or Stage 800 though, and I do say from what I've seen of them they're impressive. I think a Studio 40 would be a great little recording tool too.

I know I'm not alone though in just preferring a simple interface and setup. It's much more reliable (not in the things breaking sense but in the having the tone you want consistently sense) and I'm sure many of us have somewhere between 1 and a handful of sounds we go for. Plus as fun as effects can be they lack practicality in a band environment for most of us.

Some bassists will get that Stage 800 dialed in really nicely and set perfectly so they can transition throughout their live sets without any setbacks. And I can see a lot of us having to stop the show because why is preset 14 now including a phaser that won't shut off? I'm pretty good with tech and even I fall victim to the why the hell is the perfectly normal thing that worked the last 50 times not working calamity.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I voted 'Beats'. These new digital modeling combos were named Rumbles simply due to the wildly popular global success of the line and the positive name recognition and excellent reputation for gig worthy reliability with bass players world wide. It was a smart marketing decision by F.M.I.C. that is paying off handsomely as demand outstrips supply.

BBassBassington likes this.
  7. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Finally got the chance to play through a Studio 40 this past week. I'd say a very nice improvement over my old Bronco 40, especially the interface. The tweeter seemed to help as well; something I wish the Bronco would've had too.

Though I wouldn't spend 350 clams for it, if you like to play with your equipment as much as actually playing music, it's probably the one to beat for home use.

Giffro and G-Dog like this.
  8. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    We need more votes here, please.

gsgbass likes this.
  9. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I love how even the split is on the voting. Would be interesting to see how a large group of people would vote.

Maybe the people at Fender couldn't even decide if it was a V4, V3, or V1 modeling Rumble. Sure we've only got 23 peoples opinions here but would there even be that many people at Fender who got any say in it at all?

10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    That's why I made this thread with a poll open to all TB! But it's really only of use to people familiar with Rumbles.

Well, it's my (mis?)understanding that the whole V1, V2, V3 designations was invented right here at TB, and Fender doesn't even use it. That, it's just for TB use after all!

So, come on everybody, VOTE!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I voted Yes. Technology increased from V1 to V2 to V3. Its the very reason for the V=Version. This is also a new technology Version Rumble so it should also be reflected in its new technology Version name. Fender Rumble V4.
    EDIT: We TB members are purchases of the products and have a say in the naming convention of such products I would say.

G-Dog and SoulReflection like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That was true until Fender brought out these new Stage & Studio Rumbles. Some of the factory presets include V2 and V3 Rumble designations. Dead ringers too. Once again I am flattered to be the trend setter.

G-Dog and Giffro like this.
  13. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Some of you CARROTS need to change your vote one way or the other lolll

G-Dog likes this.
  14. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I'm not entirely sure I bought my Rumble rig from Long and McQuade and on their site they use the V3 designation but no designation for the Studio/Stage.

Doesn't really prove anything, but it's probably part of where my wanting to differentiate the Studio and Stage from the main V1/2/3 line comes from. (Price, and digital vs. analog is the other part of it.)

G-Dog likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    'Beats'

G-Dog likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    or maybe it should be Digital Modeling Version 1. DMV1

17. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I think these combos are «flavours» of v3. The styling is very similar, the drivers are the same, configuration is the same, with the exception of the modeling part.

18. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Congratulations, @Linnin, on Fender recognition of your Rumble Version Designations! That is, indeed, a high honor.

Now the question becomes, "Can a V3 model a V3?". I submit that Fender's adaptation of these designations separates the Stage & Studio from the V3s.

I further submit that a new designation like DMV1 is not only too complicated but subconsciously reminds people of unpleasant governmental experiences with their motor vehicles.

Keep It Simple. Stage & Studio = V4

Are the Rumble Stage 800 & Studio 40 the Version 4 (V4) of Rumbles?

Linnin and Giffro like this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

G-Dog likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes. Here's how -> The Fender B-DEC was the first Fender digital bass amp. Likewise the Fender Bronco 40 is V2. So, Fender Rumble Stage & Studio are V3's. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.