1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are The Streamliners and Shuttles Losing Their Original Touch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been in the market for a new amp for the past few weeks and each day that I browse, I constantly see a new Genz Benz Shuttle or Streamliner for sale.

Are people buying this amps based on word of mouth, playing them for a few weeks, and selling them off shortly after? Does the overall weight become a deciding factor in the overall purchase of these amps? (the shuttle in particular)

Don't get me wrong, these things sound GREAT, but I was just wondering why? I was going to take a shot at one of these, but I also just wanted to know the current opinion on them as far as resale and what not is concerned..

Can anyone provide a little insight on this?

2. You need to adjust your opinions about the 'number of amps of a certain type for sale' based on how many are sold new (i.e., market share).

My guess is, the two Glockenklang Heartrocks currently listed in the classifieds represent a MUCH higher percentage of US ,new sales, than the Streamliners, Shuttles, or Markbass LMII's currently for sale in the classifieds:smug:

IMO, nothing unusual going on with these heads.

3. cashpoor51

cashpoor51 Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    new jersey
    Pretty sure it comes down to the fact that we just can never really be happy with just one type of amp
    I have owned shuttle 6 & 9 streamliner 900 and shuttlemax 9.2
    and a markbass cmd121 combo
    after years of playing ampeg fender acoustic preamp power amp
    combinations the thought of a light portable amp was really a huge selling feature but when rubber meets the road the D class
    stuff just doesn't have the organic old school feel to them that
    my ear wants to hear
    svt7 pro is the closest to my ear to old school sound but its neither light or as portable as the shuttle stuff

I currently have the shuttlemax 9.2 and svt7 pro and one will go soon to fund an old school tube head or mabe a carbine

4. KJung,

I'm not really talking about US sales, market shares, or anything on this level. You need to simplify your opinion based on what I'm asking. I am simply saying that I have noticed over the past few weeks there has been alot going up for sale. I am not speaking on the terms of a monthly decline/incline sort of thing.

I am in the market for a new head and these were actually my choices (and still are).... I just want to know if people are looking to "move on" sort of thing..

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    If I were to guess why there may or may not be a lot of them for sale used right now, it would be nothing more than a guess. That's how rumors start and I kinda don't want to play that.

What I can say for certain is that I have a Genz-Benz Streamliner 600, it's lightweight and sounds great and it makes a nice backup for my main amp, an Eden WT550, and it's not for sale :)

6. cashpoor51

cashpoor51 Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    new jersey
    Also wanted to say all of these amps are high quality and performed without a hitch and could gig with any of them
    without a complaint
    Theres just to many amps on the market and so little time
    to gig them all :)

7. You miss my point. If 5,000 were sold new, and 20 are now for sale used (as an example)r, that isn't many at all. So, in effect, your comment of 'a lot going up for sale' is most likely not correct.

IMO, your entire premise is incorrect. Absolute number of sale used at any one point in time is a useless statistic without taking into account the denominator... i.e., percent purchased new currently for sale.

Again, complete non-issue. If you like the way the heads sound, no reason not to take the plunge. Great company, great service, etc.

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Look carefully and you will note that most of the GB amps FS are the point 0 (6.0, 9.0). The line recently underwent a revision to the point 2 series, which resolved some customer complaints about low end extension and such.

Ampeg has also released an amp that is similar to the GB Streamliner, and those who want to try it out may be unloading their GB gear to do so.

9. You are making this more complicated than this has to be. The last post posted by Mr. Pickles sums it up perfectly for me. When I say "alot" that doesn't necessarily mean "100" or "500"... it could mean SEVERAL or a number in the tens, or teens.

I also stated that they are great sounding amps. I just wanted to SIMPLY (key word here) know WHY there are several of them (whether it be in the tens or teens) for sale right now as opposed to a a few months back or so when they were being raved about (and still are of course)

Simplify your answer and how you think because you are not getting what I am trying to say. I understand what you are getting at, but it doesn't apply to the nature of my question.

10. Never mind. You are not understanding what I'm saying. No big deal.

11. I AM in fact understanding what you are saying, but once again, it does not apply to the nature of my question that was asked.

12. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    You are asking people to speculate. I would PM the sellers and ask them, or better yet, ask someone that has sold one recently to avoid any bias.

13. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Shuttlemax 9.2s are VERY rare & sell in a day. The Streamliners tone is not for everyone, people buy on hype & sell on reality. Streamliners were TOO hyped. I love mine but its not versatile. Its perfect for my church situation of sitting back in the mix.

Tons of all these amps were sold, like Kjung said so they appear more on the used market. If you buy without hearing it, maybe you'll be selling yours too... its not a versatile amp.

The new .2s are freaking ridiculous. Get one!

14. You're right Smurf... Bias has obviously made an appearance here (unfortunately)
    Figured since I saw several for sale, maybe I would see those same people (the sellers) on the amps forum..

THANK YOU TUNAMAN... that is the answer I was really looking for. KJung took it in another direction which is fine, but was not the answer I was looking for.

15. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Really? Could you be more specific? Is it 900 watts like my STM-900?

16. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    KJung took it in a logical direction. This question is subjective nonsense unless you consider how many of these have been sold in the last few years.

Just because I see more Ford mustangs than Porsche Caymans for sale locally it doesn't mean anything is inherently wrong with the mustangs.

KJung isn't answering out of bias as you suggest. He's just putting it in context.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    This is YOUR opinion, but not the majority. Just thought I would clear that up.

18. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    I just ordered a streamliner 6 off of ebay (found one new for just over $500.00 which seems like a steal). I did a lot of research and couldn't really find a bad review. This will be a backup to my Fender 100T or my main for smaller gigs. I also PM'd a few TBers as they tend to be really honest in their reviews and everyone said they loved it. If you are still curious send me a PM next week and I'll tell ya what I think :)

19. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Basssurfer- You're going to find a lot of gear that gets hyped here & people go buying sight unseen in big quantities & then dumped for the next big thing. Go years back through the threads...

Epifani was hot, now not. Bergantinos were huge, now its Fearfuls... the problem isn't the gear, its that people get swept up in the hype. Innovation is wonderful but Talkbass has a habit of getting you to buy the latest & greatest. Some guys on this site have BIG bank accounts & can flip gear for a loss without an issue once they realize that innovation doesn't necessarily mean the gear fits their personal needs\sound etc.

Gotta try before you buy to avoid the classifieds flipping syndrome!

JLepre- TOO hyped may be opinion, NOT versatile is fact especially compared to the Shuttlemax 9.2... so thats why they are hitting the used market pretty frequently... just trying to answer the OPs question honestly. I have the gear but I gotta be honest about it & say it can't slice bread

20. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't think you're going to find any consensus answer to the question you asked. Different people sell for different reasons. Some are always looking to flip what they have for something new, some may need more power, some may have issues with the tone or flexibility of a particular amp, and some may need to raise cash to pay bills, etc. I just bought a GB Shuttle 6.2 through the TB classifieds and love it. Great tone that fits in the pocket of my gig bag. The ones that show up here seem to sell pretty quickly, so resale doesn't seem to be much of an issue and GB obviously stands behind its products with great customer service. You said in your initial post that they sound great to you, so trust your ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.