1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are their any bands with their bass guitarist as their lead singer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Qneaton, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Qneaton

Qneaton

Jun 27, 2012
    Just started learning bass about 4 months ago and i love to sing and i wanna start a band so i dont know if it would work out being a lead singer and bass guitarist

2. tk4207

tk4207

Sep 25, 2010
    There's lots! Rush, Cream, The Police and Motorhead are popular ones that come to mind immediately, and I know there's plenty more. I'd say go for it if you can!

3. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Slayer

4. It is rather tough to sing and play from what ive heard/imagined, but totally possible. Rush is a very good example, as they have a real top tier bassist as a singer.

I think it just takes that much more practice

5. TC424

TC424

Jun 24, 2010
    Holtwood, PA
    Phil Lynott with Thin Lizzy

6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Les Claypool with Primus
    Paul McCartney with Wings, the Beatles and his current band.
    Mark King with Level 42
    Peter Cetera and then Jason Scheff with Chicago
    Why not?-a lot of players sing lead and play bass!

7. Glen Hughes with several bands including Deep Purple for a time.
    Peter Steele of Type O Negative.
    Burke Shelley of Budgie.

8. NoFX (Fat Mike), Blink 182 w/ Mark Hoppus (not fully lead singer though), Less Than Jake (again, only on some songs), Rush, Primus (and Sausage).

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    WINGER!!!!!!!!

10. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Greg Lake w/Emerson, Lake & Palmer (and early King Crimson)
    John Wetton w/Asia (and Red-era King Crimson)

I say go ahead & do it. You may end up in Crimson in 15 years! :)

GT

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Hey, that's my ambition as well! Welcome to the club! :D

12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    wait, CREAM? are you sure about that? No, really i don't know, but i'm not so sure..

13. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Absolutely, Jack Bruce took a lot of the vocal duties, although Eric sang some as well. I play in a Cream tribute band and I have the sore vocal chords to prove it! Jack played some challenging bass to sing over the top of.

14. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I've been the lead singer as well as bass player for my last 4-5 bands.

It's tough sometimes. But it just takes lots of practice.

15. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    John Cooper, Skillet

16. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Saw the tittle and kinda wanted to type Paul McCartney in all caps... However seems I have been beaten to the punch... I'll make my exit...

Excellent performance by him at the opening ceremony though...

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    At times, both my wife and I sing lead vocals while playing bass. We are a four piece, and sometimes the other one has to play other instruments, and we always try to have one or two songs in every other set where neither one of us has to do anything, so we can spot check our sound system, and do tweaks.

It's fun to play bass and sing, but it's harder than, for example, strumming an acoustic or rhythm guitar.

However, I still think it's more difficult to sing while drumming, and a lot of drummer/lead vocalists tend to sing kind of choppy!

18. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This just makes me want to add this -- I auditioned for a band tonight, and the drummer not only sings while he drums, he can even play the harmonica.

HOLY COW!

But singing bassists are all around, so go for it. As others have told you, there's only the bit about a lot of extra practice, but if you really want to do it, that'll be no hardship for you. It gets easier as you practice.

I don't sing lead anymore, on account of my voice sucks, but I sing backup and if my voice didn't suck I could sing lead now because of all the practice I did back in the day. At first, it feels impossible, but what you do is learn each part so well you don't have to think about it much anymore. Then it gets easier to put it together.

So yeah, lots of extra practice.

19. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    I'd say Kiss, but everyone sings in Kiss (even the pyrotechnics guy is singing while detonating all that stuff).

20. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    While Gene does sing a bunch of song, Paul Stanley is definitely the front man since he handles almost all the crowd interactions between songs.