1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there advantages to different porting types?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the way a cabinet is ported? Would a tri-port, shelf port, or tube port work best, or are they all the same if done properly? How exactly do you calculate the size of shelf ports and tube ports?

2. Me too, I'm sure Bill will have something intelligent to say on this. All I can tell you from my experience with a Goliath II and III is that the II, with the rear-facing tube port, has a smoother frequency response, and the III, with front facing shelf port, is more efficient in the low-end, but the response is lumpier. I 'measured' this with a tone generator and my ears, so, not very scientific, but the differences were obvious.

3. The slot port is the most space efficient and most difficult to build and tune. It also offers structural rigidity and bracing.

The Eden D410-XLT series is built with both top and bottom slot ports.
    They did not not choose to take advantage of this natural bracing, so instead built the whole box from 5/8" ply.
    This is why the box weighs 98 pounds.
    Both top and bottom, and part way up the back are braced by these vents.

Vent location is irrelevant, except when the location causes the vents to be obstructed.
    Vent area is critical, no matter what shape or configuration is used.
    If it is too small, the vent will chuff and make audible noise under high power.