1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any 1x15 or 1x18 cabs in 4 OHM ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stooges_Fan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

Nov 23, 2008
    Seriously. Besides Carvin. Are any good 1x18s or 1x15s in 4OHM or am I just doomed. My amp is capable of 4 and 2 ohm, I have a 410HLF (thats 4 OHM) looking to add a 1x18 or 1x15 4 OHM cab (so mt total load is 2 OHM)

Does anybody know of any ?

2. Why get a 15? Why not another 410? If you're looking for a "deeper" tone there are plenty or 410s and even some 210s on the market that could pull that sound. The deepest sounding cab I've ever heard was a Markbass STD104HR 410 cab. 410s can also get louder so you aren't as limited when you're crankin' it.

3. Same old story...

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    get 2 8 ohm ones and put them together for 4 ohms.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    He's right. If you get a 4 ohm 15 it will get the same power as the 410, and that means the 15 will probably fart out long before the 410 does. A 215 4 ohm or a pair of 8 ohm 115 will balance well with a 410, as will another 410.

6. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

Nov 23, 2008
    Are there any 1x18's in 4 OHM ? I'm sure a 1x18 will balance well with a 4x10...

7. Yeah, except it won't, for reasons Bill just explained.

-jb

8. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

Nov 23, 2008
    I don't understand it ? I see people on here all the time running a 410 and 115 together. Maybe there is something i'm missing ?

9. Yes there is. Do a search and you'll find all the information that you need. Reread Bill's post, the answer is there.

10. Someone really needs to sticky "BIGGER DRIVERS DOES NOT MEAN DEEPER TONE!" to the top of this forum, lol.

But to answer the OPs question look into this combo:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1639&brandID=3

and

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=34&brandID=3

I don't know the technical business behind it all but I used this rig with a GK 800RB and it sounded amazing on a festival gig. It moved air like no other rig I've tried before. I'm sure Bill could tell you if it's a bad idea or not. I also don't know how the 18 sounds alone (the 410 was the cab at eat level) so take that however you may.

11. There is. Many people assume/feel/believe/insist that adding a 115 deepens the overall tone of the combination. But the simple fact is, if you have two such cabs rated at the same ohms, the single driver will get whacked with four times the watts of each driver in the 4x cab. So it will likely reach its mechanical limits long before the other cab, assuming the driver's specs are roughly similar (the farting-out that Bill referred to). The conventional wisdom is, if you like the sound of your 410 but you just want to get louder, get another one just like it. If you don't, try something else. Or, if you're determined to have 115s or 118s, get an 8-ohm version so each driver is getting whacked with only twice the watts of each 410 driver.

-jb

12. Of course the obvious solution to this problem would be to get four 16 ohm 15s or 18s and pair them with one 4 ohm 410 :D

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Some will. Some fifteens will as well. The problem is that the information you need to know to determine that, total driver displacement of both the 410 and 115 or 118, is not available, unless you happen to know exactly what drivers are in each. Few, if any, cab manufacturers will tell you.
    What's really in question here is whether adding a 115 will give you the same total displacement as adding another 410. In the vast majority of cases it won't. A 118 might, but if it's the same displacement as a 410 then it's not better, merely just as good.