Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are there any 33" scale basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jojo99, Oct 22, 2005.

1. jojo99

jojo99

Oct 18, 2005
    Can anyone tell me of any 33" scale production/discontinued basses that are available? How about 33 1/4 (besides rickenbacker)...thanks in advance!

2. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA

Does it hafta be 33"? they make short scale basses...... the gibson eb-0 and eb-3 are 30.5 scaled......

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can think of several boutique basses with a 33" scale but none in commercial brands.

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

If memory serves, I think Travis Bean's were 33 or 33 1/4" as well. But you'll pay real money for a nice example.

5. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I believe that Rics are 33.33".

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think a bunch of Rbasses are 33"

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    [​IMG]

Mine is, and I know there are some more out there. 33" rocks!

8. whoa! that thing looks sweet! whats with what seems like a second fingerboard between ur pickups??!? :hyper:

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I can't think of any that were widely produced, the Ric would be the closest. You'r emost likely looking at having a custom made, or lucking onto a used one one, like those named above. I think the Mouradian CS 74 is the same scale as the Ric. Never measured mine, but it is real nice to play.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    It's called a ramp. There's been some threads about them recently. They idea behind it is to leave less space beneath the strings for your fingers to pass, hence minimizing extra finger movement, and in turn increasing finger-plucking speed. Or something around those lines.

As for 33" scale basses, I think Matt Garrison's 6-string pro model Fodera has that scale.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Pretty much it, thanks Phil. It's radiused to match the curve of your strings over the fretboard, so it sits right under your strings. It's hard to describe the effect, but it makes jazzy fingerstyle playing much more comfortable.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Matt's bass is a 5 string with a high C. I know that Fodera has made a Garrison 6 with a 33" scale but it's not Matt's bass.

13. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    a lot of yamahas were 33.5", i believe....

14. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    My fender jazz bass is a 32"..

15. jojo99

jojo99

Oct 18, 2005
    I didn't know fender made a 32" scale jazz bass...is it a Standard, Squier, or ?? ....is it discontinued?

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Unless there's another one I don't know about it would be a MIJ Jazz Bass Special with a P/J setup and active electronics, separate bass/treble.
    I've got two of them. :)

Yeah, they're discontinued, and really hard to find! :(

We changed the pickups to Barts and put in a 3way EMG pre.

Attached Files:

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I know a couple of luthiers will do 33.4, like Nordstrand I believe as an option. I dont know of any production basses that are 33" besides the few mentioned above.