Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any affordable Piccolo basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram Bedrosian, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Are there any affordable Piccolo basses, or, can any bass be tuned that way with the proper set-up?

thanks!

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    What do you consider affordable?

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl280.html

Here's a link for D'Addario piccolo strings. You'll probably have to tweak truss/action/intonation but you should be able to turn any 34" scale 4 string into a piccolo for a grand total of $15.16 (plus shipping).

4. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    FBass is debuing a new 29" scale prototype piccolo at NAMM in a few weeks...I'm not sure what the price will be , but it may be worth checking out. I made a 34" Jazz into a piccolo and it was fine...but I like the feel and tone of a shorter scale for that range- plus the strings feel a little more flexible for dynamics and bending IMO
    Cheers,Mitch

5. Doesn't Wooten play picollo tuning on one song?

6. I believe "At Last We Meet Again" from Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is done on piccolo strings. I bought a set a few years ago and learned the song. It is a fun one to play.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I had a Squier Bronco bass that I used as a piccolo with much success. I think it costs around $100 or so. If you're looking to spend more, the Fender MusicMaster could probably work well too. Piccolo strings are available also, they're just harder to find. I would always order two sets, since, if one broke, I'd have to wait a few days for UPS.