Are there any affordable Piccolo basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram Bedrosian, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Are there any affordable Piccolo basses, or, can any bass be tuned that way with the proper set-up?

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    What do you consider affordable?
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA

Here's a link for D'Addario piccolo strings. You'll probably have to tweak truss/action/intonation but you should be able to turn any 34" scale 4 string into a piccolo for a grand total of $15.16 (plus shipping).
  4. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    FBass is debuing a new 29" scale prototype piccolo at NAMM in a few weeks...I'm not sure what the price will be , but it may be worth checking out. I made a 34" Jazz into a piccolo and it was fine...but I like the feel and tone of a shorter scale for that range- plus the strings feel a little more flexible for dynamics and bending IMO
  5. Doesn't Wooten play picollo tuning on one song?
  6. I believe "At Last We Meet Again" from Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is done on piccolo strings. I bought a set a few years ago and learned the song. It is a fun one to play.
  7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I had a Squier Bronco bass that I used as a piccolo with much success. I think it costs around $100 or so. If you're looking to spend more, the Fender MusicMaster could probably work well too. Piccolo strings are available also, they're just harder to find. I would always order two sets, since, if one broke, I'd have to wait a few days for UPS.