Are there any basses that have LESS than 4 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Oct 21, 2000.

1. I don't see why there would be, but stranger things have happened!
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Yup.. I've seen 1,2,3 string basses.. :)

Those 1 and 2 strings are made from the same brand!! it looks like a little thin stick!! With 1 or 2 strings on it!! It looks soo weird -=) the 3 string,.. i've seen this custom Musicman Stingray bass, that had 3 strings.. u know how the Musicman basses have 3 tuning knobs on one side and 1 on the other?? Thats how it was, jsut with one of the tuning knobs gone!! and 3 strings -=)

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I saw this guy on TV having a four but only two strings on. I think it was the E & D. I still don't see the point, what was he trying to accomplish? Well, OTOH, he really didn't need four strings - his lines were so simple they were boring.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    heheheh those are gay.. if you are gonna have a <B>2</B> string, GET THE ACTUAL 2 STRING bass!!!! -=) With 2 tuning bars, thinned neck etc.. etc.. -=)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    tony levin used to have a 3 string that he would play - the point of it (i think) was that he would play it with his FunkFingers(tm) and it would enable him to get a cleaner sound - the strings were spread wider apart then on a "regular" 4 string.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    wow.. i never tought about it that way!! so the neck is the same width etc... just the string spacings are much wider!! I see I see!!! thats not a bad idea!!! :D!
  7. It's not really a new one, either. The greatest soloist of
    the 19th Century played on 3-String Basses- Dragonetti, Bottesini,et al.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here's the Atlansia solitaire:

9. The recently deceased Mark Sandman from the band Morphine played his bass with just two strings, AND he played with a slide!
  10. this is very interesting! i have another intriguing question: what is the tuning for the basses?
  11. maybe he just sucked so much that he had to have WIDE string spacing so he wouldn´t hit all the strings together! :D
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played a Tub bass once it consisted a of a washtub and a stick like neck with one string. The way you played different notes was to pluck the one string and pull back and forth on the neck for different notes. Very Crude but once you played it for a while you could find some notes and play some sort of melody on it.
  13. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I have seen 1, 2, and 3 string basses before. They were called Broomstick Basses or something. I also have NO CLUE why anybody would do this. The one I saw was basically a broomstick with a string on it. It also had, like, 6 little round pickups that you could use in different combinations to make different sounds....or something....????I don't know???? It was in an issue of Bass Player Magazine. I also saw the bassist for Silverchair playing a bass in a video with only 3 strings on it. It kinda looked like he broke the G string and was too lazy to put it back on. That count?