Are there any big name basses like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stephen S, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    It seems the reason I usually buy my basses is for the tone I get from them. I love the nasty tone I get from my cheap basses because it sounds so raw and unfinished. The only problem with them is that they seem so raw and unfinished. I own a Squire and a Johnson. I have been checking out Fenders and Warwicks but I can never get the right tone from them. I have heard that the Musicman has great tone ability, is this true? I also have a feeling that the fact that I own basses with rosewood fretboards and have been playing with everything other then rosewood makes a big difference.

I'm looking for something that has a raw and unfinished tone, 5 strings, and the ability to reach into the highest fret with ease. I would prefer J basses but I am willing to try something new. I am not a big fan of P basses but I might try a P/J.
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Sounds like you want a stingray :D
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Check out the G&L L-2500 (2 humbuckers) and L-1505 (single humbucker) as well. They, like the 'Ray, have a very aggressive, snarly (raw?) sound.
  4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I will definitly have to check out the Stingrays and the G&L. How much would either of those brands cost me? I'm willing to buy used.
  5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    You could get a used Stingray fiver for around a grand or so. More like eight hundered if you go for the four.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I played "nice sounding" basses for years before I realised I like it raw and punchy. So I sold the precision and have found 2 basses that I like. The first one has already been mentioned - the Stingray 5. Love it! The 5 has a a pick-up swittch that the 4 doesn't have so it's got more sound options.

The other one is my old Ibanez SDGR 885 (it's now my spare). I bought it back when the SDGR was the Ibanez flagship and had good electronics. The current SDGR's are crap. However, the new TBR series seems very similar to mine. Sweepable midrange is excellent - and it's cheaper than a stingray.
  7. i like that same raw sound, and i've found that most p-bass clones (samick, johnson, peavey, etc) all give me that sound, most of those companies make jazz clones too, and samick i know at least make one in a five string, the electronics are good, and the construction is solid, less features in some cases but for that raw sound you don't need all the features, just my opinion
  8. i play a fender copy(epiphone), through an ampeg head and i can definitely get an aggressive,"gritty" tone.