Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any cabs wired in stereo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hello amp gurus!

i was just wondering if any cab makers have ever made a bass cab with (obviously) two or more speakers wired in stereo? i once saw a peavey guitar cab wired in stereo in a pawn shop in phoenix, AZ, and i am just wondering if there were ever any for bass.
    I wrote to LDS, and they never replied yet!

Charlie

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    [​IMG]

The top 4x10 of the Trace BFC is wired into two stereo pairs (Left and Right) and the 1x15 is wired seperatley to them so it is basically a tri amp cab. Can also work as a simple full range cab. Be warned it weighs 87kg, that's what stopped me from buying a heavily discounted used one.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Theres actually a lot of cabs wired in stereo. Most of the ones I've seen have been 410s though.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have only come across gutiar cabs wired in stereo. Line 6 and Peavey XXX.

However, it isnt very difficult to (un)wire a cabinet with two parallel inputs. I think all you have to do is sever the connection that makes them parallel.

5. yes, thank you...
    i want to know which ones!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ear Candy will do both a normal input and parallel inputs on 1 cab.

7. yeah, i've been looking at that...its only an extra 20 or 30 bucks...i can't remember.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Any 4x10 can be re-wired stereo, as can any cab with multiple drivers in it. It might create impedance issues but it should also broaden your choices significantly.

10. how do you do that?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It depends on what you need stereo for.

Stereo cabinets work for guitar because the higher frequencies mean the wavelengths are shorter; therefore you can get some left-right spatiality to the sound.

Bass frequencies have longer wavelengths, so to get left-right spatiality, the left and right sources (loudspeakers) have to be much further apart. So stereo to get a certain quality of sound is much less practical with bass.

But if you want stereo so that you can use the power of two amp channels in the same cabinet, that can be done fairly easily by re-wiring it.

12. well, basically i want to implement certain stereo effects live, such as delays, chorus, panners, etc. are you saying that i would be better off getting two cabs? my thoughts are to plug into my nightbass SE, send the left and right outs to channels 1 and 2 respectively, and then send each channel to a seperate cabinet...
    i really don't know much about amps, and have have limited resistance knowledge, but can this all be done?
    if not, what should i do?

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For these sorts of effects in a live situation, yes you'll probably need 2 seperate cabs to notice any difference between stereo and mono. You'll also need to convince your guitarist that putting a bass cab over his side of the stage is OK, and you'll have to hope he doesn't insist on doing the same. Also, you'll have to make sure that everyone in your audience is sitting in between your speakers, because if anyone is sitting closer to one speaker than the other, they probably won't be able to hear the speaker that's furthest away, losing half of the effect.

Oh and if you're running through the PA, your sound guy will need to know what you're up to because one DI won't cut it any more. You'll need a minimum of 2 channels, each panned hard left and hard right. You might also need a third DI set to the centre. If you've got the channels to spare, no problem. Personally I think it's a lot of extra effort for no real improvement.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, if that's what you want to use stereo for, then you'll need two cabs, and probably some side-to-side physical separation between them.

15. Actually, for stereo chorus, you don't need much, if any separation to get the full effect.... it's more the 'out of tune' signal playing off the dry signal versus actual stereo separation. If you use two cabs and separate them too widely, you actually lose the effect IMO>

Back in the day, we used to rewire the old Guild/Harke410 cabs so that they were two sets of 4ohm 10's in the same cab (I assume they were 8ohm drivers.... I didn't do the rewiring myself). We all had it done back in the days when stereo chorusing on a fretless was 'the thing'. It worked great with a stereo power amp. I assume you could easily do the same thing with most 410's today.

+1 on the DI issue!

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Gallien Krueger used to make a stereo wired 212 cabinet.