1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are there any copanies other than kramer and travis bean who make metal neck bass'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pev, May 12, 2010.

1. pev

pev

May 12, 2010
    SUNDERLAND UK !
    i realy like the kramers and beans, but theyre hard to get hold of so i was wondering if there are alternatives?:bassist:

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    The Electric guitar company.

Thats it.

Oh, and Vaccaro, and Some older ish Hartke's.

3. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Electrical Guitar Company basses are great...but don't come cheap! Kevin's a great guy and will build to your spec's

Vaccaro and Hartke's are excellent basses too - I prefer the american made Vaccaro's of the two, but have owned a few of the MIKs and they are absolutely solid instruments and come up more often on ebay, etc.

4. pastvertical

pastvertical

Sep 2, 2009
    I have a Kramer, Vaccaro, and a Hartke. Think I will put my Vaccaro on the block soon. Never play it......

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I'll personally take the Kramers.

Not because i love the brand, but just because of the sheer number of models available!

6. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    KBF - you are absolutely right about the variety! My only problem with that variety of Kramer Lumie's is that so many of them are short scale...at least the cool 8-string ones, the wedge and the Dukes. I'd buy one of each but I just don't like the feel of the shorties....

And pastvertical - which model Vaccaro do you have? Not too many Vaccaro owners around here....

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Well there WERE long scale Kramers made.

8. http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

More travis bean style goodness (and other shapes too!)

I've got a Kramer 650B in black - fretless with no inlays. It's sweet. Pretty rare beast in that color too...

9. Hartkes are rebranded Vaccaros I believe. And Vaccaro is closely linked to Kramer ie from New Jersey and former original vp or founder, or something like that of Kramer.

10. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    You are absolutely right on both points....Vaccaro built the Hartke XL series basses in NJ and the XK series basses in Korea for Larry Hartke with the main difference being the headstocks and different electronics.

Henry V Sr was a bigwig in the original Kramer, and the Vaccaro/Hartke instruments were built in the old Kramer factory in Neptune NJ.

I've noticed a lot of fellow NYers/Brooklynites here on TB lately! :bassist:

11. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    One of my favourite subjects - aluminium guitars and basses...

The Vaccaros and Hartkes aren't strictly aluminium necks as the aluminium part has been reduced down to a re-enforcement plate sandwiched between the fingerboard and the wooden back of the neck and the metalwork is only actually visible at the headstock.

You can easily tell which Kramers are long scale and which are short scale by counting the frets. All the Kramer Aluminium necks were the same, they just cut the fret slots in different places to give the two scale lengths. Short scale Kramers all have 24 frets while the long scale models have only 20. Even the headless Duke model is the same neck with the headstock sawn off!

As well as the models already listed, Veleno made a couple of all aluminium bass guitars.

Wandre was making aluminium-necked guitars and basses long before Travis Bean and Veleno. Unfortunately his ideas generally outstripped the technology available at the time so they are of historical rather than musical interest.

There's the Battle Bass from Beck Guitar Works.

Born To Rock F4B

Hondo made a copy of the Kramer Duke called the Alien which has an aluminium neck.

According to the Metalnecks web site, Obstructures(formerly Tactical Works) make an all aluminium bass, but I can only find details for a guitar.

There are also some basses with metal fingerboards: The Andreas Shark basses had aluminium fretboards, while LeFay and Phantom make models with fretless steel boards. Vigier have made fretless basses with their "Delta Metal" boards which I believe is a brass alloy.

There are a lot more guitar manufacturers building aluminium-necked instruments such as Bastin, Bergeron and Goulding and one of them might be willing to make a bass.

TBH if your looking for a new aluminium-necked bass then Electrical are your best bet.

If anyone's interested I can be persuaded to post photos of my various aluminium-necked basses...

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    This is true, except for the second line.

Kramer never had any relation to Hartke or Vaccaro in a production sense.

Hartke was still with GUILD as Kramer shut down their aluminum neck production.

13. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    It gets murky here...but what I said was the Vaccaro/Hartke basses were built in the same Kramer production facility as the original Kramer lumies as Henry V Sr took over the Kramer company and tried to keep the brand alive with his newly designed lumie's (see the 1995 catalog on VK that has a hollowbody Jazz King lumie I would love to get my hands on!) but then rebranded the company as Vaccaro in 1998.

So yes, I agree that the original "Kramer" company had nothing to do with Vaccaro/Hartke in a production sense, but I thought the "production" of the Kramer and Vaccaro lumies took place in the same physical location in Neptune NJ...just 15 or so years later.

But I don't want to derail this thread any further...maybe we should bring it over to the KF and ask Steve EZ!