1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there any good alternatives to tolex for cabinet covering?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by function, Apr 12, 2006.

1. function

function

Sep 7, 2005
    I've got a bald cabinet sitting around and was wondering if there were any cheaper ways to go about covering it. Tolex is quite expensive. Someone has even (jokingly) suggested using spray-on truck bed liner.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Duratex. The link has been posted here numerous times. It's easy to work with and clean up and gives an industrial touring-cabs type finish; colors are available. Probably cheaper per cab too.

3. DuraTex and spray on bed liner are viable.

DuraTex is DIY, and bed liner is pay-to-spray.

Carpet is probably more durable, but much more work to apply correctly. It also collects beer and cat piss.

I recently finished a Tuba 24 in black marble Formica. It is both scuff and impact resistant. However, it requires full edge and corner protection to avoid snagging. Cost is about $2 per square foot. I finished all sides except the front (horn mouth) and the bottom (carpet).

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, you could get ABS or similar sheeting too and do the flight case stylie. But weight adds up. DuraTex also is the easiest touch-up around.

5. function

function

Sep 7, 2005
    Thanks a lot. DuraTex looks good. Are there any places online that have ABS or the right carpetting?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I covered a cab in truck liner once. It's practically indestructable, but it added some noticable weight to the cab ,an extra 3kg for a cab that was only about 80 litres. 3 kg might not sound like much but the same cab in carpet was decisively easier to carry around.

Does the DuraTex suffer the same weight problem?

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Wall Mart Floor and Deck Paint, $13 per gallon, 'India Ink'. A gallon covers at least 4 cabs. There are prettier solutions but few cheaper and easier.