Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are there any good country bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by buddahbass, Feb 13, 2005.

1. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i just recently tried out for a country band (not my first choice, but in the woods of PA options are limited) and i was wandering if there are any good bassist in this style of music that i might listen to to get a good feel for some of this stuff.

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    MIchael Rhodes, David Hungate. These guys are Nashville session cats who have played for EVERYONE. Check them out. Great players, great tone, great feel, great chops. Understated and dynamic.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Glenn Worf, Willie Weeks, Roscoe Beck, Joe Chemay, David Pomeroy(gotta like anyone who covers The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"), Keith Horne, Glenn Snow, etc.

Granted, Root-5 & some other standard Country rhythms are still played....for the most part, it's about Pop-style bass.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great bunch listed already.... IMO the caliber of player doing Nashville sessions is hard to top! It was very humbling to have to learn pop country stuff for a band I was in briefly... lots of deeper stuff going on then the typical Top 40 to Classic rock gig IMHO/E.