1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindwell, May 28, 2012.

1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    ...put my marriage in GAS jeopardy by selling my SWR Electric Blue head so I can swing buying an Alembic F-1X?

Had the misfortune to play through the Alembic last week. Liked it. Played through it today with my Ken Smith CR5: really liked it. But my GAS card is maxed. One thing has to leave before another thing can enter.

Beyond the obvious comparisons of features/functionality, head vs. preamp, etc, are there attributes of the SWR whose awesomeness is so overwhelming that only a boorish dork would even think of doing without them? And conversely, does the Alembic have a dark side / hidden face that she only shows to those who have been with her for a while? In other words, what do people love about the one I would get rid of, and what do they hate about the one I would like to get?

For those who have played both, which did you prefer, and why? And just so you know, I play lots of styles (fingerstyle, pick, slap, pop, r&b, funk, rock, etc), and play mainly club and festival gigs.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    What are you using for a power amp to go with the pre?

3. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    SWR Stereo 800. Eventually, I'll get something smaller and lighter as well.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Well.......My Alembic F2b mated to my SWR stereo 800 is tone made in HEAVEN!

I mean it sounds really great and one of the best amp tones i have ever heard or had

5. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    You're not helping! ;)

Seriously, though, this is precisely what I was afraid of. Sigh.

Other folks?

6. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I like my Alembic, but I love my Demeter. The F-1X might be on the block.

7. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    I love my F1-X + Stewart 1.2 = :)

8. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Care to elaborate? Impressions? Comparisons? I'm all ears, as they say.

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    ...and I'm in the market for one.

:hyper:

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Having owned both the SWR Electric Blue and the Alembic I can say that the Alembic is a far better piece of equipment. Same goes for the Demeter.

11. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Well, dang. The manager of the local GC just called to say that the F-1X I played has just been sold--maybe to somebody on this thread! :ninja: But that's just as well. Helps keep my GAS pains down not to have one so physically near yet fiscally far.

The net effect of the comments here has been to increase my willingness to put the SWR on the market so as to finance an Alembic. Any further responses would be most welcome.