Are there any guitar cabs that work with bass too?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krusher, May 22, 2002.

1. Krusher

Apr 30, 2002
    any 2x12s with tweeters or what not?
  2. uh... WHY?

also, guitar cabs never have tweeters.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    as full range cabs: no
    as part of a bi-amp system: why not
  4. You;ve got it backwards.... any BASS cabs that work with guitars..... yes of course.

I am both a guitarist and bassist and needed double duty - though getting a good bass sound was most important, and thats hard with guitar cabs.

It seems bass rigs/cabs are designed to be 'musically' flat with good response
    across all freqs, especially bass. (assuming all the obvious difference between cab configs)

most guitarists are stuck in 1970 and use speakers which are about as flat as the himalayas and have crappy bass response.

Get a decent guitar preamp (sans amp etc) and use a bass rig, tweak the eq, it will sound great and be *damn* loud, if thats what you want.

My guitar put through a SABD, peavey mark 6, and avatar 210 sounds great, and very loud: roll off the bass a bit to give more headroom to the amp and crank it up. Another 210 would give a 400watt half stack which I'm sure would shred most other half stacks in clarity and volume. Tweeter attenuator is a must though, or a high shelf on the amp.

I don;t know why more guitarists don;t go this route. I guess there are no guitar heros who use bass rigs.

I think any electronic instrument would sound good through a decent bass rig.

On the other hand Lemmy uses a couple of marshall stacks, but he isn;t known for slapping technique;-)
  5. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    It's pretty easy to blow up guitar cabs by playing bass through 'em, and they sound crappy for bass, too.

This question comes up pretty often, and I always wonder why anyone would want to do it. When you play bass, the amp is as much a part of your sound as the bass - gotta have the right tools.

(FWIW, back in 1970 I blew up a whole Marshall stack (2 4x12 cabs) by playing bass through it for 45 minutes at not-very-loud volumes. So I have been of firm opinion that it's not a good idea ever since.)
  6. John Turner uses a pair of Hartke 4x12 guitar cabs.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    right but if i remember correctly he also biamps and runs an 18" sub - eliminating the whole "shredding-the-speakers-because-of-too-much-bass" deal.
  8. Krusher

Apr 30, 2002
    Ah ok, I was probably going to go the same route as you Magman...I play both guitar and bass so I need a dual rig. I'll probably use a sansamp PSA-1 through some avatar cabs.

I just wanted to see i there were any guitar cabs that were popular among bassists as well (how the bassman is used for guitar)
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    guitar cabs work great for creating magic smoke on stage. ;) :D
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Have you got the PSA-1 already?
    How do you like it for bass?
    Using the PSA-1 for a 'dual rig' seems to be a great idea as you can store different settings...

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have had my giutarist play through my hartke 2000 and my fender 15
    WOW!!!! did it sound awsome!!
    it is perfect for distortion or clean!
    and you can run a acoustic guitar through also!
    i almost talked my giutarist to buying my setup from me.
    it was insane loud!!!
    i plan on playing guitar also (still love my bass more!)
    and i am going to play it through my bass amp!
    410 sound good too i have those also

13. I've bought a second hand SansAmp PSA-1 this weekend. I'll use it as a 'dual rig'.
    The poweramp will probably be a Peavey CS800s (400 watt 4ohm).
    Now I'll need a basscabinet that would be good for usage with a guitar as well.

Peavey has cheap and rugged cabs (TVX410). Are those any good to use as a guitarcab?