1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there any hard rock/heavy metal/progressive rock bassists who do walking lines?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Title, pretty much. I know Paul did one for All my Loving, but there are any who do this at least semi-regularly?

2. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    Trevor Boulder durin the Ziggy stardust years!

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    There's that quiet interlude in the middle of "Yours Is No Disgrace" where Chris Squire plays a sort-of walking bassline.

4. Trevor Dunn on 'quote unquote' by Mister Bungle has some walking lines.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Smoke on the water is the first song that come to my mind.

6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    you ever listen to the band Between the Buried and Me or the band Bleeding Through?

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I suppose this is cheating since even if you consider that Jethro Tull fits your genre limits the Tull version of Bouree is as much Bach as rock. The bass line is pure Tull though, at least it does not match any free online transcription of the original Bach piece that I can find nor does it resemble them much. I've found many of the Tull bass lines quite charming and while they may not technically be walking lines they often seem to owe something to the style.

Ken

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Rex Brown and Gene Simmons come to my mind.

9. FenderRick

FenderRick

Mar 30, 2011
    Croatia
    ^what he said

amazing bass on all tull records,and not a single ''regular'' walking bass line,but they do sound like it from time to time

10. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Same thing popped into my mind.

11. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    You might want to check out Andrew Weiss from the Rollins Band on the album "End of Silence". I really like the way Andrew holds it down on that album.

12. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Good call! My favorite Rollins Band cd...

13. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Like Multiman said, Greg Lake did some when he was in King Crimson (I think only for their first album, in the Court of the Crimson King), particularly in the jazz breakdown... thing in 21st Century Schizoid Man. John Paul Jones did too (if you consider Led Zep hard rock/heavy metal) and Geddy Lee may have... I feel like he did, but I can't remember any examples. I know, very helpful.

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Wikipedia seems uncertain as to what the origin of the term heavy metal is but as someone who was a teenager in the late 1960's I can tell you that we all thought it derived from the names of two bands: Led Zeppelin and Iron Butterfly. So, yes, I would say that LZ qualifies as heavy metal! Actually Steppenwolf used the phrase "heavy metal thunder' in Born to be Wild and even though it described a motorcycle, not music, I suspect that the two band names in conjunction with that lyric are the genesis of the term. All three were indelibly stamped in every teenager's mind during the late 60's.

Of course the Wikipedia article also says "Creem critic Lester Bangs is credited with popularizing the term via his early 1970s essays on bands such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath." Really? If teenagers in central Wisconsin, well removed from any known cultural movement, were using the term by 1968, I'd say the Creem critic was quite late to the game....

Ken

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

Either
    1) I've completely forgotten how "Smoke On The Water" goes;
    2) You guys are talking about some other tune called "Smoke On The Water" besides the Deep Purple hit;
    3) You guys have a pretty atypical definition of what a "walking bass line" is!

I guess I'm willing to believe it's #1, as far-fetched as that seems. But I mean, I've been hearing the tune all over the airwaves ever since it was first released, I've played it in a couple cover bands over the course of my career, I think I just heard it on the radio last week...

Where is there walking bass in "Smoke On The Water"?

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    During the verse there is some walking, during the guitar solo the walking bass line is pretty clear.

Smoke on The Water Bass Cover - YouTube

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Where?
    ...it's pretty pentatonic, IIRC.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I will give this a listen to...tomorrow.
    WTH, I listened...nice mask.

During the guitar solo, that is not walking bass. It sounds like a repetitive figure played over & over.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple of example I recall...in the Hard Rock arena-

Dennis Dunaway on the following:
    "Long Way To Go"
    "Blue Turk"
    "Crazy Little Child"

Then there's "Blue Collar" (the outro) by Bachman-Turner Overdrive...includes jazzy guitaring by Bachman on the outro.

20. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Rex Brown come to mind, his background is actually in Jazz he had a scholarship.