Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are There Any JP-90 Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jan 28, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm actually am beginning to like mine quite a bit. Here it is:

[​IMG]

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Except I have MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special pickups in mine, and I changed the controls to v-v-t. It's a nice bass, but I play my Precision more.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey did you have to do any additional routing to install those P-Bass pickups? I've been thinking about putting a new set of pickups in mine. This bass sounds pretty nice but I would like to have a little more bottom and high end definition. It would also be nice to make that J pup a little less noisy when it's soloed. What difference did the change make with yours?

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a JP-90? I haven't seen a bass referred to this way before. Thanks.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The JP-90 is an American made Fender with a jazz neck and a poplar body that is very similar to the traditional Jazz Bass. It has passive electronics and a P/J pickup configuration. The controls are volume and tone with a toggle switch to select neck/combined/bridge settings of the pickups. It's a nice inexpensive bass if you are able to find one in good condition. Mine is a 1990 model.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    ebozzz - the pups are more or less standard size, except that the jazz pup seems to be neck size, rather than bridge size, so I did have to hog out the pickguard a little to use a bridge-sized pup. The MIM Deluxe P-J pups seem pretty nice. I've also tried EMG's in this bass, but the bridge pup went bad, so I went back to passive. None of this required any routing.

I have a Bartolini 9j#1 bridge pup here, if you're interested.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Thanks for the JP-90 info. It is a model I hadn't heard of. LIke the MB-5, it seems like another example of "if it's not an actual Precision or Jazz , no one will buy it and Fender will discontinue it." So much for innovation.

8. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I used to have a JP-90, it was my first bass. Paid 400 for it in '93. Could you imagine getting a new American Fender for 400 these days?! It's actually a pretty nice instrument - I changed the pickups to EMG's and changed the bridge to a 2-tek - and then I sold it for a hot-rodded Ibanez Roadstar:( ! I was 17 and I got fooled by it's huge humbuckers and cherry sunburst/birdseye finish. Now I have a 72 Jazz, but the JP-90 with EMG's still would've been a nice studio bass. Oh well...

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My orchestra teacher had one of those that i believe was fretless-not sure if it came that way or if he made it that way. I always thought they looked sweet & thought since he played one they had to be good. That being said, my current bass teacher now plays a P-bass that he sold him waaay back when. thats all

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I had to chuckle when I read this. I just bought a Squire MB5 - can I assume that this is the same bass we are talking about?

Dan

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    "Thanks for the JP-90 info. It is a model I hadn't heard of. LIke the MB-5, it seems like another example of "if it's not an actual Precision or Jazz , no one will buy it and Fender will discontinue it." So much for innovation."

I am new here, and had to enquire. I just purchased a Squire MB5, which I am quite pleased with. Are we essentially referring to the same bass?

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm not sure what a Squire MB5 is and I don't think that Squire is American made. The design could be similar. Got a picture of it?

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, the Fender MB-5 (which was somewhat similar to the new Squier model) was discontinued back in the mid 1990s. It was made in Japan.

I think the Squier MB came out so that there would be something in the line to better compete with Ibanez (which has a good market share with "extreme" rockers).

Fender has never had much luck trying to compete with "modern" bass models.

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The MB5 was, I think, a model that Fender started and then dropped 10 or so years ago. They recently revived it as an budget Asian Squire model, but there is no American or Japanese version. I am interested in the the squire MB5, but I have yet to see one to try it out. It is not stocked in any local store.

It just seems that whenever Fender tries a bass without a pickguard, or with a non-P or -J shape, it fails in the market- this also happened with a few other models in the 80s or 90s, such as the HM bass or the one (model name?) with the Lace Sensors and the fine-tuning bridge. And with the "boner" Jazzes, from the early 90s I think, with the longer upper horn to balance better. And this is despite the fact that (outside the realm of very low-budget basses, say in mid-priced offerings) most of Fender's successful competition does not look like a P or J.

I wonder how Fender will do with the new line of boutique-looking basses- will they finally be able to diversify their line, or will it be another be another flash in the pan? Will traditional Fender buyers try something different, or will non-traditional buyers buy a Fender? My guess: the line will be dropped in 2-3 years. But time will tell.

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

It's here on Squire's site

16. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    pilotjones: I have to say that my Squire MB5 is better than what I had expected from Squire. It sounds nice, plays well, and feel right (to me).

As for Fender's attempts to go beyond the P and J, I think it has to do with being a standard. They are so entrenched with being a standard for bass (and even guitar) that no one thinks of them for anything else. you want something different you automatically look elsewhere.

Dan

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  18. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    OK. Now I know :)