Are there any lefty's here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, Jun 4, 2001.

1. I was just wondering how many people here are lefthanded or play lefthanded. I am considering the purchase of a new bass but the problem us lefthanders face is that a majority of basses in music shops are for right handed people. Does anyone have this problem? Another thing is that left handed instruments usually cost more, I was once told that I should expect to pay about 10% more than right handed gear.
  2. I'm left handed but play the bass right handed.

In a lot of cases the manufacterer of the bass doesn't upcharge for left hand models but it would make sense for a music store to do so since they don't have as much of an opportunity to sell them quickly.

The biggest drawback for a lefty, though, has got to be selection. I went to a couple local music stores recently and saw around 150 basses on the wall (total) and probably a handful of them were for lefties.

I think your best option would be to go through one of the major suppliers like Musician's Friend or Interstate Musician. They probably have quick access to left hand models and probably wouldn't upcharge that much. The drawback would be you couldn't try them out but they probably have some sort of a return policy. The other option would be to have a bass specially made. If a local store knows they're going to sell a left hand model, I'm sure they would be willing to order that model for you at no upcharge. Again, though, you wouldn't be able to try it out before hand so you would want to do as much research as possible before you make the decision.
  3. I'm left handed and play right handed.
    All the aforementioned reasons apply.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lefty/play righty.

There are a couple decent lefty forums.
    The Fender Discussion Page at
    and Steve Barr's Dudepit at
    Also, lefty basses show up quite a bit on ebay if you are shopping.
  5. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm right handed but I play lefty. Playing left handed felt much more natural to me the first time I picked up the bass. Years later I did consider trying to relearn as a righty for all of the obvious reasons, but I decided against it, didn't want to start from scratch again.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lefty but I play righty.Felt more comfortable to me.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Same here.

Learned to play violin right handed, so it was already second (or first?) nature when I switched to bass.
  8. I've got the worst of both worlds.

I'm a righty but I play lefty!

I broke the tendon in the ring finger on my left hand playing rugby at school so I can't bend the end joint in that finger.
  9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I am a lefty who plays lefty.