Are there any "less expensive" single cuts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefunkelastic, Dec 28, 2007.

1. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    I have serious single cut GAS...fretless singlecut gas.....I'm sure you all understand. All of the singlecuts I've seen though are about 3 grand though, the cheapest I've seen is the benavente that's about 1.5k, are there any cheaper ones? Say around 5-8 hundred?

thanks for the help TB, I have terrible GAS

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Don't know if it is the standard singelcut like you are looking for, but a used G&L ASAT? I know its more of a Tele shape than a true singlecut, but its the closest I can come up with.

3. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm looking for more of a "true" single cut then a Tele shape, I saw a less expensive one in the used section a while ago, could a luthier do it maybe?

4. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I've just ordered a fretless SC5 from Tom Clement.

He's a TB regular and offers amazing value (<1000, you supply hardware) for a very nice bass. Do the math....I loaded mine with top tier electronics including a hipshot/ghost piezo bridge and its still going to be under 1800. If you have hardware (bridge, tuners, pickups), the bass could be a super bargain.

His basses come in fine woods, mine is bubinga and mahogany with a laminated neck and a lined ebony board.

He's limited on crazy options (for example my fingerboard is a premade board that he carves to fit) but he's done basses with more exotic wood.

My bass is still being built so I havent been able to compare it to my Rob Allens, Turners, Veillettes or R-Bass but everything I've heard leads me to believe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tom sends photo updates at every step of construction and is a joy to work with.

5. wow these are cheap