1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any low pass filters cheap but good

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bezbass, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    I know that the moogerfooger is great but so expensive for a one trick pony . Is there a stomp box with expression low pass filter that is a fraction of the price but still great?

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    At a *fraction* of the cost? Probably not. But cheaper can be done-One off the top of my head is the IE Xerograph.

3. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    Before I got a moog (now using xero) I was able to get good results with the ibanez weeping demon. If I remember right, the manual it says you can turn the "low" knob all the way up for low pass filter.

4. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm not used to hearing about "low pass filter" as an effect. A passive tone knob is a low pass filter, though not a very fancy one. What is it that you're after, a sharp cutoff of high frequencies? Or something else? Not trying to be a smarty pants, just don't know what it's supposed to do.

I'd also heard people talk about a circuit that leaves the low freqency content alone and only processes the high end (wah, etc), then recombines the two signals. I would call that a high-pass filter to the effect circuits, with maybe some low pass filtering on the uneffected low end.

5. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Jul 10, 2008
    West Los, CA
    You, my friend, are sorely mistaken. The MF101 is anything but a one-trick pony.

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I got my Moog LPF for about 165 used. Look around, you'll find it for a reasonable price. It's worth it.

7. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    DOD has a LPF right?

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In this context it means a resonant filter that can either have a fixed cutoff frequency, or where the cutoff is swept by a foot-treadle pot, or automatically triggered to sweep up/down in dynamic response to your signal. More commonly called an envelope filter or an auto-wah, except the OP specified he wanted expression pedal control, so LPF. :)

9. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    Thats kind of it. I'm after the 'put it in a closed box' sound that you get kind Of an extreme version of putting your hand over mouth while talking. the mf 101 does do that and has the all essential option of expression pedal too but To be fair that's all that I want from the pedal too. Not interested in self oscillating etc. and not interested in options that only partially mute the high frequencies. Needs to be able
    To be changed on the fly and go from full sound to full cut. :)

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Would an EQ pedal suffice for this?

11. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    higher value tone pot on your bass?

12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I've been able to approximate the sound of a fixed Low Pass Filter by using an envelope-controlled filter (set to LPF mode, natch) and turning the Sensetivity parameter all the way down so that it never opens up regardless of how loud your attack is.

The problem with this is that in this configuration it's only a fixed LPF; if you don't like the default cutoff frequency you're SOL. But it definitely gets the Hand Over The Mouth (all bass/no highs) sound the OP described. Perfect for reggae/dub tones.

13. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    It's not a pedal but ACG (TB member Skelf) Guitars and Basses designed a FIlter based Preamp, it is built by John East, it is the EQ02. The preamp is a low pass and a high pass filter. It is totally rad and I use it on my main bass. You could sweep the filter by turning the knob on your bass.

14. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    Hadn't crossed my mind before but I guess a ten minute play with my amp head would be a clue.

15. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    Sounds like an idea . Obviously limits the variables inbetween but it would be for those dub/dance tones.

16. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    A really tight eq pedal might do it if it's got enough cut. I've designed filters like this for sensors, the signals are similar to bass. You pick a cutoff frequency and add poles to the filter (like gain stages in a boost circuit ) until you get the sharp cut you want. Maybe I'll try to make one, call it a mumble box.

17. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks bongo. That makes sense. I'll have to check this out.

18. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Also with the ACG EQ02 you set the cutoff point, it is a stacked knob for each ( lowpass and highpass). All you have to do for a super dub tone is set the HPF to the lowest frequency and then adjust LPF to where you want it. Besides doing the LPF stuff you want, this set up is crazy in the way you can coax so many different tones out of your bass that you never knew were there. I am done talking about my (not so) secret. :ninja:

EDIT: this does not fit the cheap part of the OP....

19. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Delta, that means I don't have to build anything and can go back to sleep!

20. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Sweet Dreams...I have to get back to painting my living room.