Are there any luthiers who can build a Fender style neck to specs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kahrmine, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    I'm not ready to buy yet, but upon investigation I've found I can't get what I want from Warmoth or USACG, and Best Guitar Parts hasn't responded to my email inquiry.

I'm not sure where else to go for this. But here's what I'm looking for:

A 30 inch schort scale bass neck with the following specs:

- fender style headstock
    - 1.5 nut
    - thin jazz shape
    - rosewood fretboard, 6130 frets
    - compound radius fretboard (7.23-9.5)
    - block inlays
    - must fit the pocket of a Warmoth short scale jazz body
    - satin nitro finish

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    That's not particularly difficult or unusual. There should be many Luthiers capable of building that for you. I can recommend my friend Keith Horne. Keith can be reached at: [email protected] and 213-400-6702

3. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    thanks, how is his work?

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Keith is among the best there are in the custom neck building business. Check any of the threads by BassHappy here on TB. Keith has built many of the necks and complete instruments in his projects.

Kahrmine likes this.
  5. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    He did Basshappy's basses? That's good enough for me, those basses look spectacular.

BassHappy likes this.
  6. If Bruce recommends someone or something, you can take it to the bank.

7. Hey Kahrmine

Seriously, I can't recommend Keith and Bruce any higher for your project.

Bruce documented with lots of photos the Gibson/Les Paul bass neck he and Keith made for me.

It's the last post on the bottom of this page, post #480

My Les Paul Bass Build - I need a Gibby too...

Feel free to check it out, it's a step by step and you can see that they fabricate basically every part they use in their necks.

Amazing stuff!

mapleglo likes this.
  8. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    You're likely dealing with the world of licensing of trademarks which Warmoth does for their fender shaped headstocks. If Warmoth cannot get a license from Fender to put that shape on a short-scale 30" neck, a small luthier will almost certainly not be able to either.

9. Mark Wybierala

Mark Wybierala

Apr 24, 2017
    Central NJ
    Fender is not going to pursue a one-off build of a Fender shaped headstock. The issue that they seem most concerned about are items than could be passed off as fakes to the public. A builder can do a number of things to ease the concern such as woodburn their logo at the heel like Warmoth does. Warmoth does pay a negotiated license fee to Fender and their agreement may have limitations that apply to Warmoth which Warmoth is going to follow to the letter. But this doesn't make it a problem for the small volume luthier.

Have you investigated whether or not a Fender Bronco Bass neck fits the neck pocket? Fender is now selling necks with a few limitations.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022