Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any Modulus Genesis 5 owners out there,and if so how do you like them ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Feb 3, 2003.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    just recently I had the chance to try the Genesis 5 with the Aguilar op-3 preamp and Chechen Fingerboard.The person who let me borrow this axe was nice/trusting enough to let me gig with it at our church.I have to say that I was completely blown away with this bass(I was also running thru the house system along with a JDV radical engineering DI box) I did not exspect to get those real tight lows from a bass that had the j-type single coils,and also the highs were nice/clean but that was something i should have exspect with something that Mike Tobias has to do with.;) Just Incredible !.:eek:

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    It's a gen 5 with a spalted maple top... I've loaded it with barts and a U retro preamp... it is quite the bomb...

From my discussions with folks, the reason EVERYONE isn't playing them is that they have a chunky feel- the main reason I dig mine...

and the action- I can get insane low action on the thing... they seem more player friendly than your avrage bass- the stabiliy and response of the graphite as well as the warmth of wood...

they get my vote for desert island bass.

ek

3. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    you can pick them up on the used market for fairly resonable prices... Bass palace has 2 in stock now... www.basspalace.com

ek

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Forgive my ignorance, but can you expand on what you mean by "chunky"?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, they look svelte to me.

6. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    chunky- the neck is wide all the way to the nut, but it is fairly flat, so it's no baseball bat feeling...

that's the only way I can describe it... it just feels good to my hands

the body is also a bit larger than most modern basses, i.e. it feels like there's more *there* when it's strapped on when compared to say a Modulus Q

ek

7. hands5...I own a Genisis 5 in trans green w\Bart pup's and pre..this is a great sounding bass.. the neck is wider than most 5's out there, but it just feels right to me.(when I think chunky,I think thick front to back..like a upright bass neck or a Warwick) I like the string spacing,not cramped at all..the finger board is fairly flat while the back of the neck has a asymetrical profile(more mass on the B-string side),and has a 35in. scale length. seems like it was designed for players with larger hands(like me),but once you play it a while it feels good(to me,anyway)...the sound is tight and warm,with an amazing amount of punch...very articulate. the B-string is amazing(can you say "brown noise")..does'nt get floppy or muddy in the lower reg....I love this bass,I get comps. all the time from other bassists and other musicans(my drummer really likes this bass too),but the "freeway overpass" neck width is not for everyone..I thought I was the only one here who owned one...glad to hear I'm not alone:) ..BTW,I got a "once in a lifetime deal" on mine..I found it used(almost 2 years ago) at a local music store that I usually don't go to...but one day "something" told me to go in and look around..as soon as I opened the door,that green monster caught my eye right away and growled at me:eek: played it a while,and bought it right away...could'nt figure out why someone would get rid of such an awsome bass,but after checking out other 5's out there it was obvious(the neck width issue)....anyway..I got mine for $1099($2499 list at the time)..needless to say I was\am VERY happy..if you don't mind a w i d e neck\fingerboard,I think you will be as happy as I am

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a natural colored Genesis 5 with a quilted maple top and a maple board. I totally dig it and I love the neck dimensions, flat and wide.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK that's good. I was worried that you might have meant the baseball bat feel. I think I'll be going to check one out today...

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've had a Genesis 5 for about a year now and play it every day. It's been a great instrument and companion. The brown noise comment above was right on. About the only sound I can't get from it is vintage P--for that reason I still keep a 75 P in the house. The neck has become such a fixture in my life--I was sort of shocked when someone called it "thick". I find it absurdly slim--the asymmetric shape fits my hands PERFECTLY. I can reach up withmy eyes closed and nail "c" right behind the fret any time--this neck becomes as familiar as your living room. The shielding and wiring is neater than any bass I've seen before--Modulus takes a lot of care in making these basses. Enjoy--you can't go wrong. I WOULD suggest you try out a maple neck and a grenadillo neck tho, just to get your preference. keep us posted!