Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are There Any Other Eddie Jackson Fans Around Here?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jebis, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Although he isn't the most technical player, I do enjoy his playing nontheless. There is a "sweet simplicity" to his basslines, and he really keeps it tight.

I just wanted to know if anyone else around here was into him. "Operation Mind Crime" is my favorite Queensryche album.

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he is a super nice guy. I was fortunate enough to meet him and the rest of the band on the Mindcrime tour.

Although I could never get into Mindcrime, The EP and The Warning are fantastic.

3. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I dig his playing a lot. He does a good job of cutting through 2 guitar players and having a real solid groove. And his tone is to die for. My two favorites would be Mindcrime and Promised Land. Haven't really gotten into they're newer stuff as much.

4. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    His tone is so sharp and growly. Until I saw a picture of him on the Queensryche website playing fingerstyle, I thought he was a pick player! :oops:

5. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Actually, according to an interview in Bass Player, he always records using a pick just for that tone. Live he prefers to use his fingers as it's more natural to him. He also says that EMG pickups are an essential part of his tone.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I love his style, he's so laid back, and his sound on Mind Crime and Empire makes me hard...lol. My favorite cd by them is Mind Crime, and I think its a must own cd.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    he uses both live

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I believe I remember reading that an essential part of his tone is a "dirt box" (or some other reasonable facsimile to that name.)

Essentially, it's a sealed, internally mic'd cabinet with a speaker with a ripped cone in it that they drive a lot of watts through. They then take that mic input and blend it with his stage rig. That would certainly explain that gritty yet solid tone he's got - best example of it I think is on "Dis Connected."

The whole thing could be BS or the spotty memory of a 30-year-old brain, too. :D

I love everything they ever did up until "Hear..." The Promised Land tour (Camden E-Center, third row center) was the best live concert I've ever been to, bar none. Operation LiveCrime was really awesome, too.

If you dig the Ryche, you'd probably like my long defunct band from the early 90's - check it out if you want:

http://www.mp3.com/ransomedsoul

Try not to giggle too much about my long locks and my stunning resemblance to Kip Winger. :oops:

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

10. I hate them gaddamn Spectors and EMGs but for some reason I LOVE Operation Mindcrime. I dunno know if its EJs general driving lines or the total band package. Title song and Suite Sister Mary. Long live GOOD metal

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

12. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I love the album Empire especially the track "Della Brown". Love the tone and bottom end!

13. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    I saw Queensryche twice on the '91 Empire tour
    (when they played "Mindcrime" in its entirety) in
    Dallas and Shreveport, LA. Awesome!!!!

After the Shreveport show, my friends and I hung
    out behind the arena for about an hour just to see
    if anybody would come out. Eddie was the only
    one to come out, and he sat out and hung with us for a while.

Very nice guy! And great player!