1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Are there any other foot switch options for a TCE BH550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Oct 16, 2017.

1. I would like to have the option of using the foot switch on my BH550 to switch between Tone Print channels and to mute the amp. However, the thought of paying $60 for a little metal box with three switches in it doesn't thrill me! Are there any generic substitutes for it or am I stuck with having to lay down the cash for the TC Switch 3?

2. I guess not? :(

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    You find out anything about this on your own yet? I just got a good deal on a new BH550 and was wondering the same thing about the foot switch. Maybe bumping this thread will help us out for a reply/suggestion. peace, e.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It’s my understanding that the switch-3 Helicon will work with the BH500. First conform this. Not sure that you will save all that much by building but there are DIY schematics available for this switch. The Digitech FS3X pedal apparently works, as does the Loopi.

Google helicon footswitch schematic for details. Here is one example: DIY Digitech/ TC Helicon Three Button FSW

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    @beans-on-toast...Good answer! :smug:

I see quite a few DigiTech FSX3 pedals on Ebay, for less than the TC-E, $69.00 one. That's a good start.

The buttons indicate, Mode, Up, Down, left to right. Wondering if these buttons will work the same function as the factory, TC-E, 3 button pedal? As in, Mute, TP-1, TP-2. Guess I should ask a seller this. Some don't indicate the connecting cable included. Looks to be a regular 1/4" to 1/4" instrument or long patch cable, I believe? peace, e.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    They say that they footswitch functionality is the same, the same circuit inside. The labels are different. I haven’t tried this myself. The cable is a TRS ¼”, a cable with stereo connectors at each end.

I would first contact TC customer service and verify that the TC 3-switch is the right pedal for your amp, ask them about the cable. Do this just to be safe.

Once they confirm yes, then you’ll know that the DigiTech will work.

ErnieD likes this.
  7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    $60!? I paid about $30 for my TC Footswitch 3 on ebay about 1 year ago. I haven't checked lately as I haven't had to, but you should be able to find it there for a decent price.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    What a difference a year (day) makes. :whistle:

Yup, $69.00. This is what the going price is for the TC-E 3 button footswitch as per, Ebay, Sweetwater, etc. I may just be reaching back and hitting the tiny toggle switch on the BH550 with my finger for awhile. :beaver:

9. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    If you’re spending $60+ you may as well get the RC4 with the tuner readout unless I misunderstand and they do different things.

10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    That won't work. They are both completely different and even use different connections and cables.

11. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Ah, I see it now, the RH450 and 750 use a 5 pin connector. I thought they were all the same.

12. So, let's say that down the road you decide to sell the amp. Having the OEM foot switch will net you more than a non OEM switch and will likely only cost you half of what you paid, in the long run.
    Fishheadjoe

ErnieD likes this.
  13. I had forgotten about this thread! I haven't found anything else yet but I may just cave and buy the TC footswitch. The Digitech is a bit cheaper new. Amazon has them for $54.95. I will check Ebay too.

14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    THere are a couple TC-E 3 button footswitches on Ebay for sale. Just didn't want to take a chance they might have a issue being used and all. And it was just like $15.00 or so difference for new.

I ordered the TC-E 3 button pedal from Sweetwater. Yeah it's still $69.00. But on my SW acct that's like $2 over a 48 month period, @ 0%. Just feels less painful that way. It got here today. Works real nice and quiet and smooth. Loaded some different TP effects and the BH550 sounds great with or without effects. Using a Carvin Fretless 5 w/nylon tapes.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Just to add, I ordered a 15' TRS stereo cord w/ angled 1/4" at each end, like $ seven bucks, Ebay. Works much better than the 6' cable that came with the TC-E 3 button footswitch.

Gona try it all, BH550, GK210cab+110 custom cab at gig first time this coming Sat. Using fDeck HPF+Zoom MS60+HotOne Volume/Wah pedal and maybe the Eden WT pre. But really like the sound of the BH550 itself, so we'll see.
    One of my TP effects seems very hot, so I have to lower the Gain knob to 9:00 or less to stop loud gain noise/hiss to use it. The Eden pre helps me boost back the gain/volume for TP#2 and in bypass when I kick off TP#1. Didn't want to hassle with more pedals, so may have to just lose that TP #1. We'll see how it all works out. Hoping TC-E will offer more TP downloads in 2018 for this amp. peace, e.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021