Are there any other grip styles besides French or German?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Blazemourne, May 19, 2007.

1. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
    So are the french and german styles the only types available? Is there like a russian style or something? I am just curious by the way, I am perfectly fine with a german style.

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Inactive

Apr 6, 2007
    There are many different styles of holding the German bow, French is pretty standard; you just have very good and very bad.

3. French and German types of bass bows are the only ones that I know of but I know of many ways to hold each.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Theres a variation of the french called the italian apperantly

5. I play the Viennese - underhand like the German hold but the thumb doesn't hold the bow. The index finger controls the push and pull alone. I prefer the German hold though, more control.

6. I don't rmember the name of the hold, but I occasionally hold the French Bow, German Style. - Neopolitan? Maybe? It was mentioned in another thread a few months back.

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    i use a modified french grip. It's very close to the traditional french grip, only I use my toes.

8. anonymous12251111

Apr 6, 2007
    Yes, the Italian is what Petracchi uses. All it involves is moving your hand further away from the stick so your thumb is now in frog crevice. It's what my teacher uses, I prefer traditional as it's more delicate and easier on the wrist. This bow hold is also known as the Neopolitan.

I enjoy Streicher's Viennese Frog German bows, there is the Czech, Viennese and German school of holding the German bow.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    These being...? Sounds interesting.

10. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Whoa! I've never heard of neapolitan, or Italian! I like to try things, so maybe I will try that for a day!

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I found the italian to be more natural for me than the standard french hold...

...but then again that's coming from a guy who normally uses German anyway ;).

12. anonymous12251111

Apr 6, 2007
    That's normal considering the Italian hold has your thumb in the frog so you're going to get more power; I personally find it lacks a lot of flexibility and dynamics, but to each his/her own.

13. Besides upton, is there any luthiers in CT? I live in South eastern CT and upton is 10 minutes away so my buisness has been with them but is there any other place I could look to try out different bows? I'm not in the market now but I figure if I look now I'll probably find by the time I'm ready to buy.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021