1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there any production jazz basses with a P neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Lately something's been on my mind. Right now I only have one bass, a P-bass. And while I love it I've found I don't cut through like I used to since I switched back to fingerstyle. I really want something in a jazz pu configuration but can't think of any with thick necks. I'm too cheap for a custom job and too lazy for Warmoth.

Any suggestions?

2. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Geddy Lee.

:p

I'm fairly certain it should exist, and if it doesn't I'm pretty sure it's relatively easy to get done, Tim did it on his Marcus Miller.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Buy two Essex' and swap necks!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I did it to my Marcus Miller Jazz... actually the previous owner did it but it's a very easy mod. Fenders were made to be disassembled and reconfigured, hence most bass necks being interchangable.

My next Jazz is going to be a Geddy Lee with a fretless rosewood Precision neck. You notice a pattern of what I like?

The Frank Bello Bass has a P neck, but P/J pickups. Likewise the Mark Hoppus Bass has a P neck on a Jazz body with a single split pickup.

Looks like a neck swap is in order. I know many people prefer a Jazz bass neck to a Precision neck, the swap shouldn't be difficult at all.