are there any pro's of having a 2 band E.Q....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cods, Jul 24, 2004.

1. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    vs. a three band?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Some people believe that three band preamps muddy up the sound.

Now, you can definitely get overlapping frequency bands when you start boosting bass/mid on your bass as well as on your amp head. But preamps like the Aguilar obp-3 don't overlap between their bass/mid boost frequency centers, so I don't see any downside with them (beyond the possibilities for more knob twiddling!)
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Knob twiddling is a very dangerous disease with me. I would love to have a bass with piezo as well as magnetic pickups along with a 3-band EQ and a kitchen sink, but man, I would spend all day looking for that perfect sound, or record the same bass track with different pickup combos and settings and then pull out my hair trying to decide which one fit the song better. Doesn't stop me from wanting to juice up the electronics in my instruments though. ;)
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

they're cheaper new and used than their relative 3 bands. You need fewer pot holes or stacked pots. They usually take up less space. Fewer connections/components less to go wrong. Simpler tone shaping. Many players just work off bass/treble.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    With a 3-band preamp, say the Aguilar OBP-3 for example... can you "bypass" the midrange pot if you don't have room for it, and turn it into a 2-band preamp? Or would that not be possible?
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

You can leave out the mid controls and just tie or cap off the mid leads and get fixed mid range of 400 or 800 (in my recollection - it's listed on the Aguilar site diagram for OBP-3). Probably the same with the Bart NTMB by just leaving out the mid unit and tieing the wires (but I'm not sure cause I haven't done it). I know for a fact you could leave the mid out of the older Bart TCT 3 band but don't know if that gave a fixed mid or it only gave it two bands.