Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any quotes from world famous bassists,re: wattage need in a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Jul 28, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    are there any quotes from world famous bassists,regarding the wattage need in a bass amp...I know this is the dumbest qustion ever,but there is a bassist I know,who has been playing six months,he has a 300 watt amp,and his guitarist has a 100 watt..and get this..this is the funny part the bassist wants his guitarist to get an amp with more watts...hahahahahaha:D and he won't take my word that his guitarist doesnt need a bigger amp,and I tried sending him this link...but he won't look,he thinks he knows it all,but anyway...if you had qoutes from famous bass players,I'm sure he'd listen then...thanks.

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    thats a shot in the dark there man but i hope you get the help you need

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Munjibunga says that a bassist needs a minimum of 3 times the wattage that the guitarist has.

Everybody has heard of Munji, right? So he's world famous.

There you go.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    SkaKing:

Do yourself a favor and write clearer thread titles.

There are too many properly tiled threads around for people to bother clicking on a cryptic ones.

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Warwick's Bass Survival says most bass techs want 4 times as much wattage in the bass amp than in the guitarist's amp.

I take it that the guitar is having trouble being heard.

With 100W, I think they're all deaf, especially if it's a tube amp. The only reason I can think of is that they don't have the guitar cab mic'ed for some reason. Or as an extension of that, they don't have a PA.

With a mic'd 100W amp, you should be heard. I mean, 50W should be enough, SS or tube.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bah! Four times as much? Just tell your guitarist to turn his bloody rig down. The guitarist is fine, and smack your buddy in the head for not taking advice from fellow musicians.

7. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    When I jam with a guitarist buddy of mine he uses a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb and I use a 1200 watt Sunn.Pretty even match actually.But then I aint famous.