1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any situations where you MUST use a DI box?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lord Trau, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Copywriter, Dunlop Manufacturing
    I see a whole lot of you folks are very big on boxes with DI capabilities. I've never had a need for one at this point, but I was wondering if I should keep the one I have just in case there is a situation where it is absolutely required.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If your amp doesn't have a DI output built in, or if it does have one but the amp craps out at the gig, in either of those cases you'd be very glad you had a DI box in your kit bag.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 You either have to carry a spare amp and cabs, a pain at the best of times, or a DI in your gig bag. Easy choice IMHO :D

4. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Copywriter, Dunlop Manufacturing
    Thanks, guys. I plan on getting a Sansamp VT pedal, but I'll keep my MXR M-80 around too. Not like the distortion will be redundant, anyway, since the VT is overdrive.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    VT can also do clean Ampeg tones. Having said that, I use it for an overdrive 99% of the time. But definitely keep a DI...it's the most common way of putting the bass into the PA. You can also mic your amp, which I love to do, but a DI is more convenient and quick to set up.

6. Austicoatk

Austicoatk

Oct 12, 2009
    I just bought a SansAmp Bass Driver DI to provide a DI solution and something for tone shaping. The impetus for the purchase was the last gig I played where the acoustics exacerbated stage volume to the point where I couldn't hear myself play. Getting rid of your amp and going direct is one way to reduce stage volume (and of course, when you're keying on low frequences, things become even more challenging to hear). We use wireless IEMs.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would never play a gig without my SansAmp BDDI. Like JimmyM, I use mine more as a pre-amp / tone "warmer" than a DI per se but it's good to know that if things go down we can still plug my BDDI into the board and get a much better sound than out of the very mediocre DI boxes that are in lots of sound guys' arsenals.

8. TundraBooking

TundraBooking

Sep 29, 2009
    I use it to power a stage monitor mix so I don't feedback. I like to hear myself.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Virtually every festival gig I've ever played required that I use a DI. And virtually every one supplied said DI as well.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    If I'm playing gigs where they demand I use their DI, I say "fine" and then when they're not looking I insert my BDDI in-line in front of their DI. So I know my warm shaped tone will still be getting to the board even through their crappy DI.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You must use one if I say so. PM me before your gigs, and I'll let you know.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Doesn't the MXR have a DI out? Mine does.

But yes, a DI box of any description is very useful, a tone-shaping preampy one like the Sansamp or my beloved M80 has a multitude of other uses.