Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any small power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 5, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm not looking for a single rack space power amp i'm looking for somethng iamp or raven labs size or something you could fit in a bag with another small pre amp.

Any ideas?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Stewart Poweramps. Up to 2100 watts in a single rack space. IRCC

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Don't like to quote myself but

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoops Didn't see the "Not" part. You mean some itty bitty...like say, the size of a medium sized hardback book? Shoot I dunno if people make them small like that I think they are mostly rack spaced ones, or headphone amps, which aren't power amps.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Small enought to fit in a normal sized backpack removeable rack wings or non at all and very solidly built so it would not need to be put in a case.

Or would it just be better to get a clarus head and maybe a raven labs true blue eq to get all thast tonal veriation I want.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Around what price and power are you looking for? IAMP,Eden WT300,Mesa Walkabout are all about the same price,power,size,and weight as you may know. I'll try to find a power amp that fits your description. All those amps have plenty of tonal variation.(All have rack wings too)

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    My idea was to use a raven labs eq or pre amp into a 300w-600w power amp something in that sort of range but I was hoping the overall price to be no more than the iamp or eden head.

I want an amp that can cut it as a 70's sounding led zep, who style thingy but then be used in really clean jazz and then some nu metal and every thing in between.

I don't really need that much power no more than 600w and no more than $1000 really (Shop price not list.)I like the tube idea of the walkabout and eden but I don't think they'll cut it as super clean amps wqould I be better off with a iamp or clarus and a sansamp bass di or some other eq?
    Or should I just be quiet because the eden and walkabout are great.

8. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The Eden and Walkabout are both good at producing clean tones, but they offer a lot of tube warmth.Walkabout(300@4) is very powerful and punchy,I would compare it to some amp companies 600 watt amps.The Iamp is also loud and offers some of the cleanest tones around,no coloration.The Clarus sounds like the Iamp and seems to be just as powerful.Adding the Sansamp would be good with any of those amps.The Eden,Walkabout, and Iamp offer EQ's that can range very broadly.I don't hink you need the Raven Labs,unless your using it with the Clarus.

You could use the Raven Labs with a poweramp for a cheap price, but size and weight will be added.Can't find small poweramps.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Would a 600 watt Walter Woods sell for more than a $1000.00? I think that it's size is definitely what you're looking for.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's no real market for non-rack mount power amps. I can't think of any currently being manufactured.

If you think Eden won't sound clean you're mistaken, they are VERY clean. Go try one out.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I live in maricaibo venezuela so you tell me where I can try eden stuff and i'm there.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    stewart does make quality power amps in a single rack space, but they only go up to 1200 watts, then it goes 2 space for the 1600 and 2100 watters. they also make non rack half space sized units but the wattage tops out at 200 watts @ 4 ohms.

www.stewartaudio.com