1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there any songs that inspired you to get a particular bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I was playing along with this song, more out of curiosity to see how my current crop of basses would handle this particular bassline, something that I would listen to in my youth. Now, inspire me to buy a particular bass is a bit of a stretch in this case but the bassline was something I thought really sounded cool, my bass at the time couldn't quite get that sound.

The bass here is obviously a Stingray as I was able to achieve the exact same tone on my Sterling Ray34, even in the intro with very little effort in trying to get that sound. It sounded pretty good on a Jazz bass, dual humbucker Tune bass, surprisingly couldn't quite capture it on a G&L SB-2 and a MIM-P Bass - not that it sounded bad on either, just different. If there was a song to showcase the Stingray, this is definitely one of them. It's got that Stingray "sizzle" quality to it, in fact kind of relies on it.

Is there any particular song that swayed or influenced you to buy a specific model bass that's difficult to duplicate with another make or model?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Robscott, murphy, maxschrek and 2 others like this.
  2. Inara

Inara Fretless Femme Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I got my first fretless Stingray because of Pino's bass line on Chris De Burgh's "The Lady in Red," which I heard long before I heard his Paul Young stuff.

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    this is one of several songs that I listened to several years ago that made me come full circle back to Jazz basses from G&L ( I started on a Jazz bass professionally more than 30 years ago)

Maxdusty likes this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No, but I just got a bass that has me inspired to learn some Motown stuff!

Maxdusty, Bass V and Inara like this.
  5. 1. Thomas Dolbys’ Dissidents on ‘The Flat Earth’.
    2. Bowies’ China Girl & Lets Dance.

murphy, Maxdusty and Inara like this.
  6. Players, yes.

Individual songs, no. I need a consistent pattern of great tone on at least a few songs to spend that kind of coin.

gebass6, oZZma and Maxdusty like this.
  7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Seeing Rick Danko play his Ampeg Devil bass live and so seamlessly in '68 inspired me to find a fretless. I gigged one exclusively for quite a few years back then, and I've had one or another fretless ever since.

Bass V likes this.
  8. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Yours is no Disgrace made me want and buy a Ric.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

upright players in general and then some of jaco's stuff. no one "song." jazz/fusion/funk in general.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    virtually anything from Felix in a live setting has me still GASsing for whatever nails his gnarliness, and while I can get a great Jack Bruce grind from my coffee table rig I've found 0 that goes to 11 like Felix could with his various Gibsons maxing out those Sunns. obviously an EB of sorts is high on my inspiration list. start the vid @ 8:40 (I can't stand Silver Paper) and TURN IT UP LOUD so the whole neighborhood knows you have great taste in music lol

11. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Every Mudvayne song on L.D. 50 inspired me to want a Warwick Thumb bass. None of their songs sound right played on anything else.

12. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Extreme's Get The Funk Out inspired me to put together an obnoxious Jazz Bass with dual MM type humbuckers. The bass is great for other stuff, one of my best, but I doubt I would have pursued it before interest in that song sparked it.

mmon77 and Element Zero like this.
  13. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I was going to post exactly that!

mmon77 likes this.
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Agreed

mmon77 likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Such a great song. That entire album is Nuno’s pyrotechnic show.

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  16. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Not a song per se but, A few early Bela Fleck albums made me fall in love with Vic’s tone. Now 25 years latter and I picked up a Yin Yang Standard. Nothing else (that I’ve played) compares.

JoshS likes this.
  17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This song (and the next few albums)

Inspired the purchase of this bass (eventually)

(I remain uninspired by the hairstyle)

6E47F184-6F93-44FB-BF5D-DA45D48652F8.

nattiep, leto, MynameisMe and 8 others like this.
  18. megarat

megarat (Not My Real Name) Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    I have a Ric 4003 basically because of Chris Squire. I can't name a single song, there are way too many that were influential.

I fell in love with the Aria SB-1000 because my musical coming of age was in the early '80s, and back then they were everywhere. I was especially influenced by Duran Duran's first two albums. I've since turned into a bit of an Aria freak and own more of their bases than I care to admit.

The early '80s also caused me to fall in love with the fretless bass, which I finally got into about five years ago, and now it's my preferred way to play.

I somehow haven't yet picked up a P-bass, in spite of the fact that I absolutely love how it sounds on pretty much everything.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM
  19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    No specific tunes, but the Rippingtons (Kim Stone) and Chick Corea's Elektric Band (John Patitucci) got me hooked an 6 string.

B-Mac and gebass6 like this.
  20. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I can totally relate to that. I eventually did get one and still didn't gel with it... until I put flats on! Crazy thing is, it's true. The Force, the Jedi... All of it. It's all true.

MynameisMe and Sodbuster like this.