1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any sources for realistic-looking pearloid waterslide decals?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBrownBass, Dec 13, 2017.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I have a neck on the way that I've designed a few logos for, but I'd like to use pearloid, and I have no skills or experience with any sort of inlay. I'm looking for a waterslide decal material that

1) looks realistic
    2) is thin
    3) goes under nitro

Does this exist? Any suggestions?

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I’ve never seen pearloid waterslide decal, but some of the faux pearloid fingerboard block inlay stickers are very convincing. I’m guessing you could cut a decent sized logo out of a set of Jazz Bass sized pearloid stickers. It’s probably thicker than a decal, but could be buried with enough coats of laquer. Rothko and Frost make custom waterslide decals, might be worth asking if they coils do faux pearloid.
    Custom Guitar & Bass Headstock Decals | Buy Online at R&F

3. When I did a big batch of decals for Keith Horne of Marvin guitars, I threw in a couple of white and black pearl decals for giggles. I have to check and see if he has tried either of them. I know these decals without a metallic ink printer can be hit and miss. Some work great, others not so much.

Marvin-Both.