1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there any stereo mini-power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I have a QSC PLX 1602, which is great. But seeing all of these cheap mini amps like the Shuttle and LMII, which put out 500-600 watts at 3 pounds or so, is making me wonder: are there any stereo power amps out there like this? I have a stereo rig, and I'd like to keep it stereo, but I'd love to have something that is just the power section from one of these mini amps, times two in a single rackmount case. I know there are things like this that cost several thousand dollars, but since the mini-amps are around $700, it seems like it wouldn't be too farfetched to take just the power section and sell it for less than the whole amp with pre and EQ sections.

Is there anything like this? A cheap, lightweight, stereo poweramp with around 300-500 watts per channel into 4 ohms? Am I outta my mind with greed here?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    vestax vda-1000

I haven't tried one myself.

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    That looks pretty good on paper. Dj gear is usually pretty bad quality, and the companies are often not very honest with their specs, but that definitely looks good on paper. Doesn't seem to be rackable though. Also, I can't find the weight anywhere.

Does anyone know if the specs posted by Vestax can be trusted? I know a bass forum is probably not the right place to ask, but it would be a bummer to buy that and find out the wattage they list is a peak rating.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Ok, the relevent information for the Vestax amp:

6.6 lbs
    390 watts continuous (don't know how trustworthy this is) per channel into 4 ohms
    3.54 in. x 8 in. x 11 in.
    $550

But here's the possible dealbreaker: there is a notice that says the amp can be damaged if you set it horizontally, and that it can't be mounted next to any other devices; so no rackmounting. Otherwise it would be perfect.

5. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    I'm going to bump this one more time. Anybody have any ideas?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Look into Coldamp. You'd have to build the modules yourself, or at a minimum assemble them with a power supply into a housing, but it can be done.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The closest I think you'll come to this is the QSC PLX1104: 550W/side at 4 Ohms and 13 lbs (2 rack spaces high, 8.95" racked depth). It's a bit heavier than you were probably thinking (3 lb mini amp X 2 = 6 lbs) but noticeably (and significantly IMO) lighter than a 21lb PLX. Not overly expensive either.

But then again you could throw a pair of the lightweight amps on a rack shelf, or a couple of Bose PackLite power amps (250W, 3 lbs).

8. Stewart 1.2 .. single rack space, relatively high power:

350 watts per channel at 4ohms.

Dimensions (h, w, d) 1.75"H x 19"W x 15.3" D
    Weight 11 lbs (4.5kg)

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yeah, i haven't come across anything better than the QSC 1804 in terms of high power and lightweight.= while still being affordable

10. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    what is a stereo setup for bass? is it two inputs w/ separate output channels (like a home hi-fi) or is it 1 input spit into two separate outputs? What are the typical applications and benefits? (I bi-amp and understand that)

11. The only application for a true 'stereo' bass rig (separate inputs and outputs) that I can thing of would be for effects (e.g., chorusing, which sounds much better in stereo, or having a clean and distortion tone going into different cabs).

I'm a simple 'plug it into the head and play' sort of player, but I have heard some stereo rigs with a subtle stereo choruse with a fretless bass, and it does sound beautiful if that's your thing!

12. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    I have sort of an unusual setup, which is that I use my bass rig as my computer rig as well. I use my computer as a really complex effects processor, as well as Hammond B3, synths, etc. The bass is the lead instrument in a lot of my music.

So the signal path goes

Code:
    Bass--->Presonus Firebox>-->Tube Works spring reverb left--->QSC left-->Mesa Diesel 210
                          V
                         ----->Tube Works spring reverb right->QSC right-->Mesa Diesel 115
    This way, I can use stereo effects, process the left and right sides totally differently, or do a clean/dirty split, as well as do an awesome B3 with Leslie sound with microphones on either side of the Leslie.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1 on your setup.
    I also use a PC

As mentioned Coldamp might be a good alternative:
    http://www.coldamp.com/opencms/open...reo_400_w_plus_400_w_rms_amplifier/index.html
    It's fairly straight forward, but not cheap.

And there's d-amp http://www.d-amp.com/ but I don't know if they're legit.

Too bad on the Vestax, it looked to be a good amp on paper. I can bet more manufacturers are coming out with more. I'm even thinking some home style THX certified receiver would deliver power to which it's rated and are getting cheap.

14. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    The Hypex.nl modules appear to be pretty cheap, and I think they're preassembled, but I'm not sure what else I would need to combine them with to make a usable amp. I've built effects before, but building an amp and switching power supply is much more difficult.

Maybe what I'm looking for is just a year or two away.

edit: Actually, this looks good, from D-amp. 400 watts per channel, less than 6 pounds, $700. Too bad the dollar is so worthless right now, as all these class D amp companies seem to be in other countries; the exchange rate is killing me.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    The D-amps do look good. those prices are pretty reasonable though. just would want to see if they're actually any good.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I just don't know if d-amp is legit or if anyone has actually bought one.

If you can wait, Hypex is said to be coming out with an SMPS. I don't know if they'll sell to just anybody. They now have OEM modules they don't sell to the general public, but have been spotted in major brand amps - some with 20year warranties.