Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any sub-$1000 five string P-basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by appler, Feb 6, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

I've been searching all over for a five string Precision bass and so far the ones that I know of are Fender, Mike Lull, Sadowsky, Warmoth parts, and Benevante. However, my absolute upper limit is $1000, so these options don't work for me. Does what I'm looking for even exist? The Fender Deluxe Precision V comes closest, but it's got active electronics and I'd really like a fully passive bass. Anybody know of anything I missed?

Thanks!

2. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Fender Deluxes arent insanely active, I would give one a try before you drop it out just because it has active electronics. I think you would be hard pressed to find another 5 string P in your price range though. Unless you want to take your time and try and find a used bass that fits your needs?

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    no there's nothing, sorry

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Yamaha BB415.

[​IMG]

It's a P/J but it nails the P-Bass sound and it costs right around $400-$450. I absolutely love mine!

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    yeap. my church bass is this exact one. its quite growly. not bad a buy for 400-450, if your budget is so low. i would advise looking for a used better bass, tho. this one cannot CANNOT sound bright/pianolike over any setting i put on my church system.

6. appler

appler Guest

I'm most definitely open to used basses; in fact, I'd prefer to buy used. I play a Lakland Skyline now. Is the Yamaha a step down in terms of craftsmanship and playability?

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, how much stuf are you piling on a Warmoth? A P-bass body (alder, ash) is like, 170, 200 max, a neck is like 200, and a pickup is less than 100-150 for a P-bass... consider it.

8. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't know how to put all the pieces together and the price works out to over $1000.

I was curious...

Deluxe 5 Alder body $190
    Solid color finish $185
    Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard $179
    Bridge ~$60
    Tuners ~$40
    Five string P pickup ~$200
    Pickguard ~$30

That's already approaching $900, not including whatever I'd have to pay someone to put it all together. I'd be working with whatever I get from selling my Skyline JO 5 plus $200 max, so around $900-ish is my budget.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ You don't need to do the BS painting thing for 185 bucks, and unless you're going REALLY heavy into boutique pups, I sincerely doubt it's gonna cost anywhere in the range of 200 bucks. Especially considering DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan both have awesome p-pups for roughly 70 bucks.

10. this has been my basic complaint about the BB415...I love the feel of this bass and with the bridge pickup it has a great growl...but, I feel the same, that it is difficult to get that piano-like sound from it...but, I've only tried it in the shoppe with stock strings...I'd love to try it with some stainless steel strings like DR High Beams and see what sounds she can produce.

11. appler

appler Guest

The only five string P pickups I'm aware of are Bartolini ($110) and Sadowsky ($230). Since I want a more traditional P tone, I'd prefer the Sadowsky pickups over the Bartolini. As for the BS $185 finish... what is the alternative? I would like my bass to be painted and finished and I don't know how to do it on my own.

12. appler

appler Guest

To the guys who mentioned the BB415: I'm not looking for piano-like tone; I'm a flatwound string kinda guy so sparkling highs are not important to me. Does anyone know if the BB415 is easy to record? It's important that this bass be accepted in the studio. Thanks again for all your help, everybody.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Learn... projectguitar.com

Ask a local luthier.

Warmoth takes upwards of months at a time working on painting, it's much easier to do it yourself. Plenty of people on UG have painted their own guitars/basses with great results.

14. appler

appler Guest

I appreciate it, Steve, but I really don't have the time. I'd prefer to just buy a bass.

The Yamaha BB415 is really catching my eye. Is the quality of a Yamaha BB415 comparable to the Lakland Skyline series? I don't want to feel like I'm stepping down even though it's much less expensive.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you are looking to keep it under $1k this is a good bass. The craftsmanship is good and the sound is great. It is probably as not as good as your Skyline but really close. Some of the things that ar not as good you probably wouldn't notice unless you took it apart

16. appler

appler Guest

Thanks, Pickebass. Not considering tonal differences, what aspects of the Yamaha put it on a lower level than the Lakland? Does it get a traditional P-bass sound?

17. ummm...let's not and not say we did, either....

unless, of course, you enjoy extremely tight string spacing...

IMO...the string spacing on the BB415 is perfect...in fact, it's the neck that is a big reason why I WANT A BB415!....

like I said, before, I think the P pickup alone sounds a bit "boomy" as compared to the real McCoy, but IMO they play AWESOME for the price.

Another option, is instead of buying true P-bass 5er..you could grab a nice 5-string Jazzer for under $1K (take your pick) and then put in a Series mod (or buy one with it, already). It's a great mod and really does bring out a bit of "P essence" from a Jazz, IMHO.

18. Since he already has a JO5, this would be a good idea to try out before selling the bass off.

I am assuming, Appler, that you like the playability of your Lakland and are interested in a P for the sound. If that is correct, wiring your pickups together in series will likely give you the sort of sound you are looking for. Just something to consider.

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Check out a G&L L2500 is you get a chance. Its not technically a P bass, but it has a simmilar vibe.