Are there any tech-metal geeks out there?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by aletheian, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I see lots of posts for fusion guys and funk guys, but how about all you metal buys sitting in the shadows? Here are some bands to get things rolling: Spiral Architect, Cynic, Extol, Borknager, Emperor, Death, Aghora, Believer, Watchtower, Spastik Ink, Symphony X, Lethargy, Zero Hour, Behold the Arctopus, Planet X. What do you think?
  2. some of my fav metal bands are :

Iron Maiden, Cadaveria, My Dying Bride, Immortal, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Pantera, Moonspell, In Extremo, Ancient Rites, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Opera IX, Hammerfall, Trail Of Tears, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Tristania, The Gathering, Tiamat, .... etc etc etc

ahhh.. i like blondie as well :hyper:
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Count me in...

My list includes: Cryptopsy, Kataklysm, Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar, Death, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Napalm Death, Satyricon, Emperor, Darkane, Meshuggah, Naglfar, Amon Amarth, Rhapsody, Hollenthon, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Shadows Fall, Damaged, Rotting Christ, Opeth, Theory in Practice, Dillinger Escape Plan, Candiria, Naked City, Impaled, etc etc

I listen to tons of other stuff besides metal, too.

Also, I play on-and-off with Fetus Aftermath.
  4. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I can do metal if the singer actually SINGS.

(Eliminates a significant amount of metal bands :p)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There. Made it all better. Candiria, Cynic, and Borknagar are the bees knees, dude.
  6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Some great bands mentioned. I haven't gone a day for the past month without listening to Death (ITP, Symbolic, or Sound of Perseverance) or Cannibal Corpse, it seems...Opeth is definitely excellent, and I must say that the last Amon Amarth was quite impressive despite the subject matter and album covers :) .
    I'll add to that:
    Psycroptic, Ion Dissonance, The Red Chord, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Between the Buried and Me, Misery Index, Gorguts, Soilent Green and how could we forget Children of Bodom ?
    All top notch bands
    Also, my favorite album of 2003: The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed.
    But let's get to the real question: what's the verdict on the new Brittney Spears though ?

I personally do not know a great amount of people who can belt songs out like, say Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) or Chuck Schuldiner, or half the bands listed.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, sounding like you've got a herniated badger in your pants isn't as easy as it sound. I've LOVE to see someone like... er, well, a very talented male pop star (I'm not so good with pop, sorry) stand up to a more than 10 minutes of Death songs, let alone a tour, or career out of it.

It is, however, not without it's dangers. Big Joe, myself, and others had a big thread on metal vocals and the medical aspect therein. Search for "honey bottle" and the thread should come up. Very informative.
  8. Ex-metalhead currently getting back to "the dark side" here. I like lots of speed, thrash, death and black metal bands, but my favorite is definitely Borknagar.

I'm also currently working on "resurrecting" some compositions that we made, two of my friends and I, almost 10 years ago. No band name yet, but we want to put them on CD. It's speed/death metal, in the vein of Death and old Pestilence, but with mostly melodic vocals (will depend on my throat).

Feels rather good to dive back into this music, like I found back some part of me that I had almost forgotten... :smug:
  9. HOLY CRAP...he said pestillence! I forgot about them. They rule too. I'd like to hear your CD when you dust it off. And Kudos for bringing up the new school grind-metalcore bands like Between the Buried and ME. In that vein, I would like to add Deadguy, Human remains, and Today is the day. The bass is not so prominent on those, but the drummers are sick! I'll throw Mastadon in too since it is the same drummer as Lethargy and Today is the day, and I'll add Clutch for good measure. Check out the Clutch album "Elephant Riders" for some standard blues bass grooves played in 7/4 and 5/4...subtle, but very interesting, a new twist on a OLD theme.
  10. Yeah, Pestilence were great. I wonder what those guys are up to, today...

And yes, I'll make sure to put up enough SPAM in the recordings forum when we're done with this... It's a long term project, but if everything goes fine, we should have something recorded by next fall. :bassist:
  11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I can't believe I forgot Mastodon, from down here...
    Easily one of the top live acts.
    Very big sound on Remission too.
    I've always wondered how many drum sets that drummer has gone through. He is brutal, even though you couldn't tell by looking at him (sort of an emo look). The guys from Mastodon occasionally show up for the Dillinger Escape Plan shows here.
    I'll second a post of some of your stuff, Ombudsman.
  12. I have some friends in a band called 'Soul's Unrest' from Atlanta. They practice in the same hall as Mastadon, down by 5 points I think. We (Aletheian) played a show with them at the Masquerade on our last summer tour. Definately check them out.