1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

are there any true metal/classical bassist in here? or just me?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mutilation, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Hey
    are there any metal bassist here? i mean real metal like iron maiden, old metallica, stratovarius.. anybody play that style
    and any classical bassist who use distortion pedals and wah pedels? or am i the only one here?

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Yes, there are metal bassists.

What do you define as a "classical" bassist? Somehow i doubt bach wrote basslines with distortion and wah pedals in mind :D

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Actually I was talking to Mr. Bach just yesterday and he told me that he wrote lots of pieces for distorted bass.

Don't forget that Mr. Beethoven loved Bon Jovi. (B&TEA)

4. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Yes, and how could I forget Vivaldi and his wah? sorry bout the confusion before.

5. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    ahh hey.. well like I dunno yo its kinda weird
    I follow what cliff does... instead of just playing straight bass i like play like a peace and ad distortion on it.. and like if theres a chord ill use the wah to acent the chord...... im not a "classical bassist" im more of a "metal bassist" who likes classical music.. the only thing I really play straight bass on is like funk n stuff.. i do slap and pop a little bit... but i like to make my bass growl and shreak.. =D

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, very good. Let's not do that again though. :p

Hmm... So if Bach has a distortion pedal, Vivaldi has a wah, Beethoven listens to Jon Bon Jovi, then what about Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky? He was a romantic, so maybe he would play a kazoo.

Can't get more romantic than that.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool. :)

8. i'm all about the metal and i'm all about the groove.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Gabu,still wait'n for a peek at the old avatar!!! whad up wit dat, come on now:)

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm not metal, so i guess i can't be a metal bassist. I'm not a wood bassist either.

I see people are rockin' out with some Rachmoninov.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sheesh! I haven't been able to find that one, but since you want a weird pic... and since I like a pie in the face every now and then...

Here you go:

[​IMG]

I think this one is pretty much the same... just crop the head off. :D *CONFIRMED* Wifey has just reminded me that this is, in fact, the same picture. There ya have it! :)

12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Good call about Tchaikovsky. in fact, i was just reading a book of his, I think it was called "Me und my kazoosky" or something like that - you know those russian and the "sky" suffix - sheesh :rolleyes: :D

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Nope.Not it. It is the one where you need a hair cut and it looks like you either just got up or haven't slept in days. I think you might have your bass in your hands, but you look extra crispy. Probably should post it over at the avatar thread if you find it. I don't want to be steppin on other peoples threads. Sorry Mute:rolleyes:

14. Ok, time to get this thread back on topic. I play metal. I use variations of classical music in my solos. I am going to try Fur Elise with my flanger when it gets here.

Classical music rocks. Bastardizing classical music into forms of metal rocks even more.

BTW, I heard Chopin was very fond of the nose flute.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    That's one mighty fine nose flute right there!! :D

Fur elise with a flanger - sounds like an awesome idea!! I'm gonna have to try that someday..perhaps when I get a flanger...perhaps when I learn to play Fur Elise....nonetheless, someday I shall conquer thee!! MUAHAHHA!!!

...right....
    :D

16. coarp

coarp

Mar 2, 2002
    california
    ha ha... ha ha

17. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I love all that old school metal. and i do enjoy classical songs when put into metal style. I think cliffs sound was great and alot of his riffs were very classical.

I just got my ampeg svt 350 head and i plugged it into a ampeg bse 400 watt. Its great!! especially with distortion and morley power wah.Probably sound even better with a big muff and wah.

18. Hehe, I got my flanger yesterday and played with it today. It is so fun. Fur Elise sounds badass!
    I added a tad of distortion to the flange and, like, woah.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We've already gone over this before!!! RACHIN', RACHIN'!! ITS A PUN!!! ;) :D

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What are you talking about, Gabu? As even child knows, Tchaikovsky's favourite instrument was of course the 39-string electric concert kantele! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should look at this link and educate yourself a bit: http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/kantele.html :mad: