Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are there any true metal/classical bassist in here? or just me?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mutilation, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Hey
    are there any metal bassist here? i mean real metal like iron maiden, old metallica, stratovarius.. anybody play that style
    and any classical bassist who use distortion pedals and wah pedels? or am i the only one here?

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Yes, there are metal bassists.

What do you define as a "classical" bassist? Somehow i doubt bach wrote basslines with distortion and wah pedals in mind :D

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Actually I was talking to Mr. Bach just yesterday and he told me that he wrote lots of pieces for distorted bass.

Don't forget that Mr. Beethoven loved Bon Jovi. (B&TEA)

4. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Yes, and how could I forget Vivaldi and his wah? sorry bout the confusion before.

5. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    ahh hey.. well like I dunno yo its kinda weird
    I follow what cliff does... instead of just playing straight bass i like play like a peace and ad distortion on it.. and like if theres a chord ill use the wah to acent the chord...... im not a "classical bassist" im more of a "metal bassist" who likes classical music.. the only thing I really play straight bass on is like funk n stuff.. i do slap and pop a little bit... but i like to make my bass growl and shreak.. =D

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, very good. Let's not do that again though. :p

Hmm... So if Bach has a distortion pedal, Vivaldi has a wah, Beethoven listens to Jon Bon Jovi, then what about Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky? He was a romantic, so maybe he would play a kazoo.

Can't get more romantic than that.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool. :)

8. i'm all about the metal and i'm all about the groove.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Gabu,still wait'n for a peek at the old avatar!!! whad up wit dat, come on now:)

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm not metal, so i guess i can't be a metal bassist. I'm not a wood bassist either.

I see people are rockin' out with some Rachmoninov.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sheesh! I haven't been able to find that one, but since you want a weird pic... and since I like a pie in the face every now and then...

Here you go:

[​IMG]

I think this one is pretty much the same... just crop the head off. :D *CONFIRMED* Wifey has just reminded me that this is, in fact, the same picture. There ya have it! :)

12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Good call about Tchaikovsky. in fact, i was just reading a book of his, I think it was called "Me und my kazoosky" or something like that - you know those russian and the "sky" suffix - sheesh :rolleyes: :D

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Nope.Not it. It is the one where you need a hair cut and it looks like you either just got up or haven't slept in days. I think you might have your bass in your hands, but you look extra crispy. Probably should post it over at the avatar thread if you find it. I don't want to be steppin on other peoples threads. Sorry Mute:rolleyes:

14. Ok, time to get this thread back on topic. I play metal. I use variations of classical music in my solos. I am going to try Fur Elise with my flanger when it gets here.

Classical music rocks. Bastardizing classical music into forms of metal rocks even more.

BTW, I heard Chopin was very fond of the nose flute.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    That's one mighty fine nose flute right there!! :D

Fur elise with a flanger - sounds like an awesome idea!! I'm gonna have to try that someday..perhaps when I get a flanger...perhaps when I learn to play Fur Elise....nonetheless, someday I shall conquer thee!! MUAHAHHA!!!

...right....
    :D

16. coarp

coarp

Mar 2, 2002
    california
    ha ha... ha ha

17. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I love all that old school metal. and i do enjoy classical songs when put into metal style. I think cliffs sound was great and alot of his riffs were very classical.

I just got my ampeg svt 350 head and i plugged it into a ampeg bse 400 watt. Its great!! especially with distortion and morley power wah.Probably sound even better with a big muff and wah.

18. Hehe, I got my flanger yesterday and played with it today. It is so fun. Fur Elise sounds badass!
    I added a tad of distortion to the flange and, like, woah.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We've already gone over this before!!! RACHIN', RACHIN'!! ITS A PUN!!! ;) :D

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What are you talking about, Gabu? As even child knows, Tchaikovsky's favourite instrument was of course the 39-string electric concert kantele! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should look at this link and educate yourself a bit: http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/kantele.html :mad: