1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are there any vigier players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wiersma, Mar 23, 2006.

1. wiersma

wiersma

Mar 23, 2006
    hello i just traded my stingray 4 for a vigier passion 5 string
    and it plays super !!
    does anybody know this handmade french basses?

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hi mate- got any pics? I have had a fretless series III and currently play a fretted series II with the carbon neck and Marleaux pickups and electronics. It is superb and has seen off the likes of Alembic, Bossa, pedulla and so on. Love it!

Where are you from? They are quite unusual in the UK, and in the USA I gather.

3. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    The only time a had a vigier in my hands was some years ago in the studio we recorded. The engineer had one and I played it on that recording session. Amazing instrument, felt really good to play and the sound was incredible. There was nearly no sound you couldn't reproduce.

4. Two passions and an Arpege

All fretless with metal finger boards. Good instruments.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm extremely interested in them, but unfortunately I live in a dead zone as far as any boutique instruments except for the occasional high-end Warwick. Alembic, Vigier, Jerzy, Wal, Fodera, CT, you name it and I've never even seen it in person.

*runs off and cries*

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I have one also, really nice bass to double thump.
    I think the neck is bowing so i might ask jerzy drozd to put a truss rod on it.

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I rented an '89 Arpege that had been modified. Damn fine instrument with a great graphite neck, it sounded a lot like my Ric but more modern and not as organic. Great instrument though!

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I have two Arpege fretlesses in four and five strings. The five has been modded with a Glockenklang onboard preamp. I love 'em!

9. and yet none of these basses exist!

PICS! PICS! PICS!

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I've got 2 Excess 1's an Excess 2 limited edition, and an Arpege 4 string. My latest acquisition is an unfinished Excess 1 body I found on Ebay, the neck is in England right now getting Sims LED's installed. The body just got shot with pure white lacquer, it's gonna get Bartolini soaps and 2 band preamp, with a white pickguard and gold hardware...It'll be ready in a couple of months after the lacquer cures out..

Slug

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If you want pics, go to my website and click on guitars, you'll see a few pix there.

www.patsbassplace.com

Slug

12. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hey Slug, that white one will look superb.

Here some pics of mine:

DSCI0669.

MYBASSESFINAL.

VIGFL-2.

and http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/P1010013.jpg

Exceptional basses. The fretted is 17 years old and really nicely played in. At a recent meet up for the members of my bassworld website it converted a lot of people - feels as comfy as a broken in wooden necked bass with that graphite purr!

13. Both have metal finger boards

Attached Files:

14. note the lined metal board

Attached Files:

15. I don't have one, but one of my favorite recorded bass tones of all time is the tone on the Mental Jewelry album by Live, on which he played a Vigier.

Let's get some clips up!!!!

16. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    How does the metal fingerboard stand up to the wear of roundwound strings; just curious, as I can't abide flatwound strings myself? Do you still get the "snailtrail" under the strings that you do with a wooden fingerboard and how would you remove them if you do?

17. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    The delta metal fingerboard stands up superbly - I had roundwound Marleaux steels on mine for a long time and there was no wear after five years of playing, including slap/popping.

Here are some clips of mine:

http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass guitar samples/
    (Towards the bottom)

And these unmixed sections from a fusion funk CD
    http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Fusion Clips/04 Track 4--002.mp3
    http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Fusion Clips/05 Track 5--002.mp3

18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I remember hearing of that CD, doesnt he play through Trace Elliot on it too? I will have to check it out.

Cheers

19. Hi,
    I have both fretted and fretless early Arpège and they are amazing....

vene-nemesis = too bad,

That was a reason for me to choose the elder ones with trussrod, (always wondering about that possible issue). Once properly set these ones are very secure and don't move, because the woods are fine and the finish is so strong.

Metalic fretboard = awesome + 1

20. I'm pretty sure he did. I guess the kid from Pennsylvania wanted a truly European sound.

Check out the following songs on that disc if you don't want to get the whole thing:

Pain Lies On The Riverside
    Operation Spirit - Wicked tone on this one.
    Brothers Unaware - Shows that you can do much more than slap on a Vigier.
    Take My Anthem