Are there fewer and fewer passing chords?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Aug 21, 2020.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Has anyone else noticed how, especially with simplification of pop music, including contemporary pop and praise music, that there are less chords being played?

I noticed it first with contemporary pop music. How a song will resolve from the 4 straight back to the 1, whereas I was always used to hearing it go to the 5 first.
    (Or you can rearrange these)

Then I noticed it again when watching Roger McGuinn playing "Turn Turn Turn". He took out a passing chord that he used to play in the main progressions. (I'm not even sure what the chord is).

Then I was listening to "Angel From Montgomery" where the end of each verse resolves from 5 to 1 but it includes the passing chord. And I just KNOW that if the song were written today it wouldn't have the passing chord. Or if some people covered it today they would probably remove it completely.

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Sometimes, it's only 1 chord!

TolerancEJ and Tupac like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021