1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are there instructional videos for acoustic bass guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I plan to buy an acoustic bass guitar soon. I've only noodled around with a few at a handful of guitar shops here and there and approached these instruments like a conventional bass. However I've been wondering if there is an instructional video specifically for acoustic bass guitars. Perhaps there's more I could get out of the instrument with input from someone who may specialize in it. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Thanks!

2. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    IMHO an ABG doesn't require special instruction. I'm not saying I play exactly the same on EBG and ABG, but the subtle differences wouldn't come across, or wouldn't typically discussed in instructional video's.

BTW, when you say conventional bass, does that mean to you a contrabass, or an electric bass guitar?

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oh sorry, I meant regular bass guitar not upright. I asked because on those few occasions I've picked up an ABG in a shop, I play it like a regular bass guitar but I’d feel almost like I'm limiting myself with this approach. Like there is something more melodic I could be doing with it that I’d likely never do on EBG at least in a band setting. I guess what I really need to do is buy that ABG I've been looking at and woodshed. Still, if there were some instructional vid/DVD, I wouldn't mind having a look at it for some ideas so I figured I'd throw the question out there; ya never know.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA