1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there monitors that simulate the sound of an Ipod a radio and a stereo?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JaneBass1, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    I am looking to save on buying a bunch of monitors for recording.

It would be cool if there is a monitor that simulates many equipment with the push of a button. For example, an Ipod, a car radio, a laptop, a stereo, etc.

Is there something like that?

2. Even an ipod won't simulate an ipod. The headphones make a huge difference. Same with the other items you mentioned - there is so much variability, there is really nothing (actually way too much) to pick to simulate.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I don't mix for laptop, car stereo, etc. But when I get a final mix, I listen to it on a laptop to make sure something isn't too obviously wrong. Similarly, I listen to it in my car to make sure it sounds as good as possible given the listening equipment and listening environment. Occasionally a part or a particular frequency range will be too prominent on one of those platforms and I will go back and remix. You can't, however, do much to get as much bass as you want from your ThinkPad's built-ins!

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    i'd question why you'd want to?...

if you have good enough gear to shape the sound to be quite as specific as an iPod, why would you choose to loose the quality?

5. Because people will listen to it on an iPod, not on your monitors.

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Listen to the mix on proper monitors, then take it around. You're not going to be listening to your iPod at home - put the mix on your mp3 player and take it out. Put it on a CD and listen to it in the car. Throw it on the home theatre system. Half of the difference in sound is in the environment. Having monitors that simulate the qualities of different systems will not account for that.

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I find it more or less impossible to mix on one set of monitors no matter how great they are. No speaker will cover all your bases. I prefer to mix with 3 different types of speakers, but at least 2. Getting a good pair or "realistic" speakers is very important to a setup.

8. decent studios will have pairs of sub quality speakers hooked up to guage how things sound through small radios etc... It would be great to have some kind of emulator.

So basically- I don't have an answer but agree that its a really good question. :D

9. Bingo! Small monitors/NS-10 some nice fairly nice and large "flat" monitors next to them and some big honkers in the back for impressing clients. A sub to cut in and out is great to.

10. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    Buying more is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

There should be some emulators out there, I mean there is always an easier way for everything, the problem is that people don't know about it, otherwise everybody would be doing it.

When I find them I will make sure to post them here

11. There isn't an easy way to find out if your favorite film is going to look any better on your buddies TV. You've got to get out and try things.

There's no convenient substitution.

12. auratones . . . sort of

13. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    i guess i could start messing up with the oscilloscope and signal generator and try to fabricate something.

When I get something I will send you the bill.

14. The real world gear that matters the most is car audio, portable/boombox, and typical home stereo (read: kinda crappy). That kind of gear is widely available and most people already have two of them. In a professional environment you create a mix that the mastering guy wants to hear, not the mix that the end user wants to hear. In the world of modern home studios, usually budget DAW/preamp(s), and mics with budget nearfields (my world), and a "seat of the pants" approach to engineering and mixing, the mixing process is pretty close to the final product or might be the final product. Typically you get close, make a test mix, burn it to CD, and then listen to it on a few different systems. Then you make notes about each system, the listening environment, the room/car/background, and then go back to your mix with that information and refine it.

Listening to an "emulator" using the same monitors in the same room is a bad idea because you are... using the same monitors in the same room. All you would be hearing is a different EQ curve. Another bad idea.

What does really work? Something like the JBL nearfields with built in room adjustment, which they call "Room Mode Correction". That will help fix a lot of the problems that cause the mixing errors that you would be fixing through trial and error. Not especially cheap, but if you value your time and want to avoid the hassle of doing all of that comparison work, then they are a good/great deal.

15. I'm finding it's really interesting to listen to my mixes after they've been converted to mp3, they don't sound as bad as I thought they would and I feel like i'm listening to it similarly to the way most people will hear it. I've taken this approach over listening to a cd all over the place I have binders and binders of cds of mixes.

If I ever really want to put something to cd, than I would have to hire someone to master it because otherwise it's just a waste of time.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Spending money on good monitors and room treatment is going to take you way farther than spending money on preamps and mics and so on. Don't skimp in this area. Short your mic budget before you short your monitor budget. Always look into room treatment before even thinking about dropping the serious money on monitors.

Figuring out how it will sound on an ipod is largely a matter of putting an EQ plugin on the master bus (if you're mixing entirely ITB) and tweaking to suit. Like has been said earlier, it's all mostly the headphones being used. But you don't want to monkey with this.

Taking it out and listening to it in other areas is the best advice that has been posted so far. Doing that will get you into a different head space which will allow fresh perspective on things. It's tough to not adjust right then and there, but that's what a notebook (the pencil and paper version) is for. Make sure you're listening to a reference CD on both your mixing desk system and your car/ipod/etc system while doing this. You'll be amazed at how much better results you'll get than if you just listened immediately on 'ipod speakers'.

17. Wrong. There is no easier way...if there was, people would know about it, and would be using it...

You can do whatever you want, including throwing some preset eq on your master bus, but the reality is that the big studios use several sets of monitors for a reason.

This is why the NS-10 is a must have for any studio wanting to put out quality sound. Simply put, they are a pretty bad monitor, which helps simulate many of the poor listening conditions of the average consumer. If you can mix something and make it sound good on an NS-10, it will sound good thru most other systems.

But best of luck trying to outsmart the big guns in the industry.