Are there more bass players or drummers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tycobb73, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Harder finding Bassists

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Harder finding Drummers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    In your experience do bands have a harder time finding drummers or bassists?

2. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Around my local area there are only a few other bass players that I know. Not to many drummers either but more so than bass players.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Good front people are the scarcest hereabouts.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Since I am the bass player, it is easy for me to find one. I am always here.

Drummers - reliable drummers - seem to be extinct.

-Our first drummer was okay for a couple of months, but then started missing practices without telling anyone, and never answered his phone. We assumed he did drugs most of the time, too.
    -We tried a second drummer, who brought his girlfriend to one practice, then he never showed up again and later said he had personal problems.
    -We had a third drummer for a few months, and he was great, except that he worked two jobs and had ten kids or something. So, he just missed a lot of practices.
    -We tried a fourth drummer, who showed up and practiced with us for about ten minutes before he said practicing on an electric drum kit was a "deal breaker". It's an Alesis DM10, and isn't exactly a toy. We also have an acoustic kit with mutes, but the guy was just acting like flake so we didn't bother to tell him.

The drummer shortage is so bad that one of my band's guitarists is switching to drums so we can actually play for real.

5. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Depends on what your definition of "good" is.
    Decent hobbyist drummers are surely hard to find.
    Just like any other musician, a drummer that is skilled and dependable is already working and not likely
    to wile away the hours waiting for a start up or hobby band to get up to speed.
    Good musicians are in demand and can pick and choose their work.
    I am in no way saying your band is a start up or a hobby but keep looking. I've stumbled on incredible musicians
    in the most unlikeliest of places that were willing and happy to join start ups.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021