1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there more sustain in a J-bass than a P-bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsa0100, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have a 2004 Fender standard J-bass (US) and a 2001 P-bass (US standard). They have both strings through the body.
    My J-bass holds the tone longer. That is, the natural decay is more even. The P-bass seems to die out faster.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Probably has more to do with the specific strings, their age, and the setup on each bass. The pickups are not that different re: sustain IMO.

3. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    It's probably just the way the instruments put together- every single Fender will have different sustain- one guy's P bass will have more sustain than the other's J, and vice versa. I play a J with a ton of sustain, but there is something to say for a P without sustain. Someday...

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Is there more sustain in a Jazz bass than a P-bass ?

No, not in my experience.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Sustain is overrated.

6. haha.. +1