Are there no pro teachers in this section?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ironmaidenisgod, May 25, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I got off on a really bad start(and embarassing) with you guys in this section,posting a Bruce Dickinson appreciation thread.
    My apologies.

Just wondering why there are legends like Mike Watt and many others to answer our queries in the bass guitar section and none here?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the DB players around here are experienced pro teachers!! ;)

(that doesn't include me of course, I'm just a wannabe hanger-on)
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Do you mean people who teach bass as the sole means of income? I'm guessing, but I think most of us middle-to-old fart DBers here have taken some students along the way. I have; I don't any more.
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    And alot of them have worked with/know the great players, and they're great players themselves. If you look a little closer you'll realize there is a wealth of information for DB'ers on this site, and it's amazing. Some of these guys are even teachers at universities across the country. It's awesome to be able to ask questions to a gaggle of professional-working-30+ years experienced players any day for advice. Which means that they're all technically knowledgeable not just about upright, but also about music in general. Plenty of these guys have paid their dues and know their theory and how it all works together.

On top of that you have a whole bunch of pro-luthiers as well. I don't think you could find a better DB site. It's a blessing to have y'all... I'm going to cry now. :bawl: :spit: :D
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Mike What?

No, Mike Watt. Punk and post-punk slab player. The Minutemen, fIREHOSE, and god knows what else. Pretty cool s**t.
  7. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I'm somewhat new here but so many questions have been answered, even questions I didn't even think to ask. Lots of good info here and things I can already put to use.

Have not even visited the luthier's corner yet.
  8. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    That disrespectful,man.
  9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Dont take it wrong ironman, i dont know who is this Mike too, and im sure lots of people here on the dark side dont know too, i dont think DonZ was disrespecting nobody, its just that sometimes, we wouldnt know even the most famous slab players , the DB is mind, brain, soul consuming....and very jealous too :D

10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Man, I play slab too but I have no idea who this cat is.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Same here, but I hadn't heard of him until he became a pro here!

When TB started, there were more DB players than BG and there was a DB "Pro" who answered questions about Jazz - I asked him several about substitutions, I remember! :)
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Uh, no. With all due respect, what is really disrespectful is not watching where the hell you're going, stumbling in to a room full of strangers, introducing a topic they know nothing about, and then getting offended when they clue you in that they don't know what the hell you're talking about. Or who. That is disrespectful. And I mean that in the most respectful of all possible ways. :)

Honestly, why should a bunch of crusty old classical and jazz musicians know who Mike Watt is? Do you honestly think Mike would be offended at the notion that an affable but crusty double bassist on a BBS doesn't know who he is by name? I don't. If you ever go to Germany, will you be offended if you run into folks who don't speak English? If so, I respectfully suggest you re-examine your position on international travel.
  13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its not disrespectful to not know who someone is. And this is coming from someone (me) who lists Mike Watt as one of my main influences.
  14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    SCHOENBERGISGOD, on the plus side, now I know who Mr. Watt is...
  15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm crusty?...

but, but......

I DON"T WANNA BE CRUSTY!....... :crying:

sniff, sniff......and I do too know who Mike Watt is.....hmphhh..
  16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Uh... I think you're wrong there buddy boy, of course I expect EVERYONE to speak english everywhere I go... because... I'm American! I always get annoyed with those Frenchies not speaking English when I'm trying to talk to them. They're sooo rude! And whats this about America being disliked in other countries? America is the best country in the world!

Ahem. Anyways, I had no idea who Mike Watt is until today. We could name a bunch of legendary DB masters or even people from other genres that you wouldn't know and call you disrespectful too. But it just doesn't make any sense to do that.
  17. I really don't think you'd recognize any of our "LEGENDS" if you heard their names. You came all the way over here to say that?
  18. Why are you posting here? Why am I reading this? Why am I responding?
    And why would you post an appreciation thread for an aging heavy metal singer on a BASS message board. Man you make me embarassed to admit to playing the electric.
  19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Iron, now I have read your post's in the BG forum, and None of them have been this Dumb... I mean, You remind me of "Peter" from family guy, Not Homer Simpson dumb... But close...

If you cant think of anything of Any value to contribute here, go to the BG side, They will understand.

****Surfer dude voice on****

Wohow, Dewd, that's Liek Towdally ahwesome MANN... wriCHous Dewd... Loong Live Brewse...

(Chanting in unison) Brewse, Brewse, Brewse, Brewse...

Dewd ur sooo Cuwl. Ironmaiden mann