are there "normal" 6 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    in the future, i would like to eventually purchase a 6 string as i now understand the a 4 string is just a fancy rythm keeping device for bands who want to keep bassists in the shadows of the guitarist. BUT, are all 6 strigs :help: boutique instruments? i have only seen high end 6 strings on the tb forums, they look like they are worth more than my car. Keep in mind that this purchase will be in quite a long time, but i would like to start looking now. do mainstream companies have 6 stringers not advertised? i live in australia and the second hand bass market is quite crappy, so it will probably have to be a new bass. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Spector, Ibanez, Yamaha to name a few. Lower priced 6'ers are out there. Depends on what you're looking for.
  3. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    something with well spaced strings, i have thick fingers due to weightlifting. other than that, i will have to try several basses to know what i am truly looking for i guess.
  4. The Spector and the new Yamaha budget six have wider spacing IIRC.

5. ............... :mad: Pardon me?
  6. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003
    This is definitely the most ignorant statement I have read today. With an attitude like that I suspect it is going to be very hard for you to ever grasp what the role/purpose of a bass player is.

BTW, there are many affordable six string basses to choose from...
  7. Yeah, I think Vic would have something to say about 4 stringers being in the shadows! :D
  8. Well Alriggghhhtt! :D

I am the proud owner of a gen-u-whine authentic Fender brand human powered ............. Metronome!!!! :hyper:

9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    ;) Sorry, as an australian it is widely expected to make comments that insults someone. it is just very annoying to have to hit high d notes when i want very low loss-of-bowel-function notes . btw, i'm a beginner.
  10. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I like that statement!

I had a Dean 6 once. It was cheap and sounded OK. Try going to a large catalog and sorting the six strings from least to most expensive (i.e.: this) Maybe pick out a few you like and then do a search on them here at TB.
  11. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Peavey has some great affordable 6's. When I was shopping for a sixer under $700 clams or so, one of my choices was the Peavey Fury 6. Let me tell you, that bass looks, feels, and sounds like a more expensive bass. (Was selling at a music store for $375 new.)

The Samick Fairlane 6 is an underrated sixer. I love that bass mainly because the string spacing is really tight; tighter than the Peavey, which has standard 17mm spacing, I believe. (I bought this for $300 used.)

I was also considering an ESP/LTD B206. The price on that bass is fairly low and the company has a good reputation for consistent quality control. I didn't get to try one so I can't judge that way. (Methinks this one would be under $500 street value.)
  13. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks for the feedback guys :cool:
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Definitely look at Deans. You should be able to find them Down Under for good prices.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He only said that to piss you off.

Mission accomplished

16. LOL yeah, but I got over it........ :cool:
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Leave it to an Aussie to yank our chains. :D

It is all good. If you can afford a Yamaha, I think they are very nice.
  19. I'll give my nod to the Brices available at Rondo Music (

I got one of the last fretless one for $199 NEW. You can find some of them popping up on ebay now. I only play the cheap ones...a fretted Brice 6, a fretless Brice 6 and a Samick 6 neckthrough won on Ebay. I'll be the Brice Douglas neck-thru 6 is decent too for 399. It's a copy of a Zon body style, so if no one see's the name, they'll be impressed (if they know anything about basses).

I can't see paying more than $400 for an axe you're taking into a smoke filled room full of liquored-up men and women that have little appreciation for tastefully articulated solo passages that come out effortlessly on 6 strings.

One of these days when I'm getting called to play mostly studio gigs (and monkeys fly out of my butt), I'll pick up a custom-made Overwater from Scotland. A young man named Ross plays one in the group Wolfstone...tastiest stuff I've heard since Percy Jones' Wal work back in the day....